compact belt sander as a grinder

I am looking for a better solution than a small 4 1/2" hand grinder for grinding inside corners and other tight areas. I ran across this tool at a local store and thought it might be what I am looking for. It is a compact 1 1/2" x 12" belt sander from Bosch with a 1/4" nose roller. It feels solidly constructed and has an electronic variable speed that compensates for increased drag. I seem to be able to pick the belts up for ~75 cents each and they go to 40 grit. So my question is has anyonn used one these?

rick

Reply to
semidemiurge

RoyJ

"RoyJ" wrote: (clip) they do not work well in corners. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Roy is right about trying to jam the nose roller into a corner, but you CAN do inside corners with the edge of the belt, provided there is room for the belt/roller setup to poke through.

I have used several forms of these little belt sanders, and I find them very useful. My first was a Black and Decker, which came with several different widths, and roller diameters. It was stolen, and they are no longer made. (sigh.) Milwaukee makes a good one. The cheapest is to buy an $18 grinder from Harbor Freight, and then add their $10 conversion kit, which makes it into a belt sander. I have one of those, and it works okay too.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman