Explosive air gas mix

I prefer to use the little demons for target practice, nice way to spend a spring morning. I love it when they stand up tall when I whistle. :-)

But in one pasture where there is a new home nearby and I don't want to disturbe them I use traps.

110 conibears mostly, but surprisingly there are a few that get wise to those but get caught in a 1.75 set just like for a coyote. Sift some dirt over and sprinkle some whole oats over the pan. Gets em by the head.. These are the Columbian ground squirrels almost as big as a prairie dog. Make sure you use good stakes if you trap.... ED
Reply to
ED

As far as the vacancy issue goes unless you do a very wide area they'll keep moving back in. I've been dealing with gsquirrels for most of my life. One of the best control methods is deep plowing right after they summer hibernate. I hire a neighbor with a 600hp Big Bud set up with deep shank duck feet. It's actually for subsoiling but it get the gophers good. Breaks through the hardpan.

My dad used 1080 when it was legal, but I know it kills off target and wouldn't even consider it. One bite and they would run back down and die. Sometimes they wouldn't make it back down and the predators would eat the left overs...not good. 1080 is super strong nasty stuff. I think it's still available in Canada

An uncle used cyanide crystals, worked pretty good but a jar of that would be impossible to get today. A small spoonfull in the hole and cover with dirt. The moisture in the soil activated the cyanide.. Oh yea my misspent childhood..

ED

Reply to
ED

My landlord gave me a five pound sack of Heptachlor when I lived in Louisiana. He cautioned me plainly to use only a quarter tsp. per fire ant hill. I did, and it worked beautifully. There was a lot left when I moved out. I kept it out in the shed, and only used it outside the yard.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB