Extreme welding

So here's a different question.... If someone had no welder, was crazy, stupid, and really hard up to weld something, could they weld directly off one phase of their service panel ? Hook up welding cables to the neutral bar and one input phase of their service panel, rod yourself up, suit up, and strike down. 200+ amps @ 110Volts. I'm assuming that would blow through your rod in about 2 seconds, and you might get something that remotely resembles a weld ?

Reply to
Mr Wizzard

Sounds like instant DEATH!

NOT A GOOD IDEA!

No matter how hard you are up for a "WELD"

Reply to
Ferd

Seek help from a qualified mental health professional Immediately!!!

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism. As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Reply to
Gunner

Isn't it a felony to pay up your insurance and then set fire to your house?

If you survived the fire and the electric shock, what would you say to the fire marshall and the insurance examiner about the charred wires running from your breaker box to the epicenter of the fire?

Are you a troll posing as an idiot?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Kind of reminds me of the "BarBecueIng with Liquid Oxygen" incident by Dave Barry.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Well, shoot. Have someone film you and have him let us know how it goes.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

NO! Because you would draw *way* more than 200 amps the instant you touched that rod. And in milliseconds you would pop the breaker.

That's why they make CC welders.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Oh ease up man, was just being silly here, no need for comments like that. Besides, your comments imply that the average mental health professional would somehow know about electricity, and welding - an unlikely prospect.

Reply to
Mr Wizzard

Felonly? Nooooo, "accidents" arnt felony's. Besides, who said anything about setting fire to aything? - the post was about welding.

I said "welding cables" from the buss in the breaker box. Those arn't going to char considering that the wires coming to your house/breaker box are also #2 wire, same size as the welding cable

Oh lighten up and quit being such a stiff shirt, will ya ? :)

Reply to
Mr Wizzard

You mean SuperDave? What every happened to him ?

Reply to
Mr Wizzard

Better off getting a Harbor Freight welder- Then the insurance co. at least knows the shit-box melted the house..... (Yes, I'm still bitter, even after shooting it...)

As a side note unrelated to this boobe who posted this- I had a Miller Diamondback #17 air- cooled torch break the other day. The point where the head and handle make the electrical joint broke... I walked into AirGas in Joliet and they called me a day later and said a NEW torch would be in on Monday at no charge. Miller had no issue at all replacing a five year old torch that was in good condition (Other than the joint breaking). And some wonder why we put about a thousand rounds into the HF welder at the range???? In closing- and I reiterate strongly, You get what you pay for. Made here in the USA and supported all the way. Fuck NAFTA. All my gear is still from Wi. or OH. !!!!

Happy Easter gang,

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, Il.

Reply to
RDF

Cheez! None of these guys were high school pranksters! Some guys in electronics class would take an insulated wire to one socket of the duplex plug and carry an arc on the surface of the metal plate covering the duplex box. I wasn't in attendance at the time but saw the evidence on the plates. The problem with such high voltages would be that you would have to carry a very long arc and lose the shielding provided by the burning flux. The burning flux also stabilizes the arc by providing a path through the ionized gases. I am guessing the pranksters had better luck because they were down under 60 volts . Randy

Felonly? Nooooo, "accidents" arnt felony's. Besides, who said anything about setting fire to aything? - the post was about welding.

I said "welding cables" from the buss in the breaker box. Those arn't going to char considering that the wires coming to your house/breaker box are also #2 wire, same size as the welding cable

Oh lighten up and quit being such a stiff shirt, will ya ? :)

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

More like about 2000+ amps. No breaker between you and the power pole so the only current limiting you have is the resistance of the wire. 200Amp service dose not mean that is all that is available. It just means that is the maximum you can draw safely with the wire size you have. Probably wouldn't even pop the fuse on the pole.

2 microseconds if it was really heavy rod. You might live to see it if you have a good flak vest. A dead short across the mains will instantly vaporize a really big screwdriver (1/2" diamter X 16" shaft) sorta like spray transfer welding. Even McGiver couldn't pull that one off :)
Reply to
Glenn

I think that I would get something that resembles a weld, on my circuit breakers...

Ignoramus23596

Assuming you had an AC friendly rod and your insurance caught up in theory yes

in practice 36 volts made up of LOTS of batteries would be a lot less likely to bbq you.

So the menti>So here's a different question....

Reply to
Brent Philion

Thats what was implied - "200+" Amps with the 2/2/4 Al wire to the house, and #2 welding cables. That said, max current is determined by arc length, OTV, and the welding rod diameter.

Ok, Ok, yer right - I overloked the ole Dv/Dt and "R" in the equation. Hows bout putting an inductor in line?

Reply to
Mr Wizzard

Leo wrote: Are you a troll posing as an idiot? The Wizzard wrote: Oh lighten up and quit being such a stiff shirt, will ya ? :) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ So, would that be a "Yes?"

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

ROFLMAO!!

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism. As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Reply to
Gunner

No, they're sending me to 'mental health professionals' instead..

Ah - finally!, someone with intelegent comments! Thats exactaly right! it gets down to OTV/arc voltage. Much like a string of car batteries which can have instantanous short-circuit currents as high as 5,000 Amps (depending on internal resistance), current is a function of the resistance thru the arc/ionized path.

Reply to
Mr Wizzard

Again, the post/question is marked "Extreme welding", which is OT. We're discussing welding principals, the basics of electricity, arc zones, ionization particulars, but yet -you- are talking about: (exact words) "felony", "fire", "insurance companies", marshalls, so who's the troll here ?

Reply to
Mr Wizzard