Extreme welding

Show some respect, these guys earned it. This is no fluffy forum, it's for the working guys with little patience for stupid shit. Pose the question as hypothetical and you might not get flamed out. You got welders from the pipelines to the Space Shuttle here.This looked like a bogus post. I won't not-pick it but if you look at it, one can easily raise an eye-brow.

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
RDF

"Mr Wizzard" wrote

So, are you saying that the average welder knows an equal amount about psychology?

Steve ;-)

Reply to
Steve B

The big money is on the guy who comes into a group of professionals and proposes some preposterous dangerous adolescent what if scenario.

I'm too busy building things and doing things to take the time to do potentially fatal destructive testing.

YMM(and probably does)V

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

No, I'm talking about Dave Barry's comments on George Gobel from Purdue conducting an experiment in a public park with a Walmart charcoal grill, four pounds of charcoal, and a couple of gallons of liquid oxygen.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Humm (scratches head).... yeah, well, heck, thats probably a safe bet, no ? The bigger question is would said 'average welder' even *want* to know anything about MHP's ?

Reply to
Mr Wizzard

NIIice..... (so did it work?)

Reply to
Mr Wizzard

Dude, I *do* (and you can verify that for yourself)

See thats where yer wrong (flat wrong). A) its not just for the 'working guys', there are a lot of newbies too. B) If you have no patience, then just ignore threads you don't like.

re-read the post, it is.

...And you get newbies too, so whats your point? (elitism?)

Then don't read it, don't answer it. Just ignore it then.

You just did, all of your abive it nit-picking...

Again, lighten up, this is a public forum, not a commercial site.

Reply to
Mr Wizzard

When I worked in the oilfield, and we had a few days break, or a week off, the stories most of the welders came back with was stuff that made Desperate Housewives look like A Study In Boring Married Life. Many had hands on up close and personal experiences with the system of CPS, DV, anger management, court ordered programs, POs, and a menagerie of MHPs.

It was riveting stuff.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I went Googling for it, but just came up with discontinued pages. It's been a few years, so it probably has died down. Maybe someone who has more time can locate if from the group. Or search Dave Barry's stuff.

Funny thing was ........... the second time they wanted to do it, they went to the FD and asked for a permit. "ARE YOU CRAZY!?" was the response from the firemen.

Their "Oh, but we did it last year and nothing happened" statement blew the top off the can of cream corn. The firemen now were pissed that they hadn't been asked the previous year, and that something with such a catastrophic outcome had been pulled off in a public park. Now they were being watched.

Don't know if the second "Barbecueing With Liquid Oxygen Demonstration" was ever held.

The area in the park that was the site of the conflagration was the whitish color left over after magnesium, thermite, or a similar incendiary has been ignited. White gray ash residue from the charcoal and metal barbecue.

A great time was had by all. No observers, children, or small farm animals were permanently harmed.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Hum, Ok. So that probably explains why person A tells person B in a welding NG to seek help of a MHP. Didn't realize there was this association bwtween the 2 fields. Learn something new everyday.

Reply to
Mr Wizzard

Wow, makes my 'mains-welding' idea sound pretty benign in comparison.

Reply to
Mr Wizzard

Wait a second here... (just caught this) Where does one get a "screwdriver" with a 1/2 inch shaft ?? Thats a "chisel" or a tire-iron or some such, not a screwdriver. If you can show me a link to a screwdriver with a 1/2 inch diameter shaft, I wanna see it, because I never heard of anything like that. Thanks

sorta like

Reply to
Mr Wizzard

"Mr Wizzard" wrote: (clip) intelegent comments! Thats exactaly right! (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Well. here's another off-topic comment: "Learn to spell 'intelligent' and 'exactly.'"

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Ive got several of them. Some with round shafts, others with square.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism. As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Reply to
Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism. As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Reply to
Gunner

"Wizzard" - do a simple welding project instead!!!

Trust folk like Miller and Lincoln! Honestly; they do know a thing or two about electric welding machines! They've been at it for decades and their machines are sweet to use. They make a living at it because everyone knows they produce an electrical output which is tailored to give perfect "handling" of the weld. The difference between a crappy welding machine and a good one has to be experienced to be comprehended.

Trying to give you some idea - look up the idea of "constant current" and "drooping voltage characteristic".

You shouldn't even connect a stick welding rod across two or three car batteries - because that would give you a constant-voltage characteristic - not the required constant current characteristic..

Now MIG is the exception, wanting constant voltage. Hence the talk you will see on the group about "Readywelders". Two car batteries in series is reputed to give a lovely MIG welding power source.

The nutter on the group who does make his own electric welding equipment and shows everyone good welds he has made is "Ignoramous". Try to find his website to find how much you would need to master and how this is not what you should be doing now :-)

Richard S.

Reply to
Richard Smith

"Mr Wizzard" wrote

Try going to a tool store.

I haven't ever seen the Statue of Liberty. But, I believe it's there because others have said so. I don't limit what I believe to only what I've seen, and don't discount things out of hand just because I haven't seen or experienced them.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

So your comment above implies that I've never been to a tool store ? dude.... I have a 3/8" square shaft screwdriver, and lots of big round shaft ones, just not

1/2". I have seen other implemenets that have 1/2"+ shafts, but they are not screwdrivers. i.e. SnapOn makes a big ole thing that I believe they call a pry bar.

You should go see it - its worth the trip.

Does that hold true for WMD in Iraq too ? ;)

So I'll give you the beneifit of the doubt here, I'll accept the assertion that there are screw drivers out there with 1/2" diameter shafts. I have some big ones, but like I said, only

3/8". (but that doesn't mean they exist).

So the question is, why would someone ... er, ah, well, scratch that, lets just forget that, let that one go. Its all good.

Reply to
Mr Wizzard

These guys did it:

Wow, why such a harsh statement? - what do you got against these guys ?

There are tons of webstites out there for simple homebrew stuff.

Mr Wizzard

"Mr Wizzard" wrote

Good idea.

Plonk.