FLUX CORE - Offending Welding Snobs Everywhere

I've said it before, but if all you are doing is field welding hot rolled LOW-C steel there is really no need for anything else. Its not pretty (for me anyway), but it fuses good and you can weld outdoors on a breezy day. I just finished 8 foot of weld bead (not gonna show it and invite criticism as my fragile ego couldn't take it) using my 212 and it worked just dandy. If I had used gas I would have had to figure out how to get everything inside the shop and not catch anything on fire.

Actually recently I sold a bunch of my old owner bottles and 3 out of 4 guys who showed up said they needed MIG GAS to work on fences. I actually tried to talk them out of it, and with a couple I even broke out the little portable ProCore welder and showed them it would weld right through rust. Oh well. To each their own. (Its always better to brush off surface rust, but it was a demo.)

Really the only thing I have against flux core for basic LOW-C work is on the 212 I have to remember to swap the leads back when I need to weld some aluminum. I'd just use the ProCore, but 8 feet of weld bead would have taken me all day with its low duty cycle.

OK. Flame away. LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

core . FWIW , I recently did a multi-pass with it on a piece of 1/2" flat bar , wire brushing with an air tool between passes . Those beads looked pretty nice to me once the slag was off ... Admittedly , the gas shielded beads do look a little better , but not that much . And if I was looking for pretty , I'd fire up the TIG and hire a real weldor .

Reply to
Terry Coombs