Gas connectors

I can get this with a trip to my welding store and hardware, but thought I'd save some gas.

I'm making a specific device to kill gophers.

Basically, I need to come off either two hoses from an OA rig, or off the mixing chamber of a cutting torch. One line off a torch chamber would be the simplest. I have flashback arrestors at the regulators.

Are the fittings and threads on the hose connectors and on the body of the chamber common sized threads and common type seats? I would imagine they would not be flared tubing, but rather the seats that mate up with the interior metal sealed to the hose.

Am I right, or do I need to get a short section of hose, cut it, and then come off with standard fittings?

TIA

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

There is no such thing as standard fittings.

There are CGA specs that cover every welding gas fitting imaginable.

Start here:

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Have you ever seen the movie Caddyshack?

I have this mental image of a huge smoking hole in the ground, you holding an oxyfuel hose in one hand, looking up at your house as it sails over yonder!

Be carefull (but tell us the results :>)

Reply to
TinLizziedl

Better yet - post the video.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Huh.

Don't take it so personal, Steve.

I was just messing with ya.

Welders around here do that quite a bit.

Reply to
Joe

Probably win the money on Americas Funniest Videos, too!

Reply to
Joe

Thank you. I've been welding now for thirty three years. I think I have a grasp on OA equipment. I have an Associate degree in safety. I have planted and detonated explosives underwater. I have the experience to operate these things safely. Anyone who welds has the potential to blow themselves up or get seriously injured. It is when you are new, get sloppy, get complacent, get distracted, ignore common safety rules or get whacked by another person when things go seriously wrong.

Other than that, it's controlled mayhem.

Thank you for your concern.

You are a rig welder, right? I bet I could walk around your truck right now and find at least ten OSHA violations. Starting with those dryrotted hoses and squeaking regulators. Then there's driving around with your regulators hooked to the tanks. Whoops, that's a DOT violation and not an OSHA. My bad.

If you had taken the regulators and hoses off and put them out of the sun and weather when not in use, you wouldn't have written in and asked about dryrotting hoses. You're closer to blowing up than I will ever be working in an out of doors environment fifty feet from tanks with two flashback protectors on each hose. And the Whitey ninety valves to boot. BTW, my hose is the type T for propane and has been out of the plastic two days now. And yours?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Go to

for videos. The principle is the same. So simple that they cannot get a patent on it.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Reply to
RoyJ

I know I can do this, and I want to get started. I've got ranchers lined up already. Just need to work out a few more fine points, and I'm off.

Gas bottle Flashback arrestor Hose Flashback arrestor Mixing body Whitey ninety Hose to underground diffuser/arc shield.

Three places downstream between the bottle and the explosion to stop any back flow.

I'm looking forward to this. Now to build a trailer to pull behind the ATV to go out on some of these thousands of acres of ranch land.

I did see a device called the Gophinator. It used anhydrous ammonia in a tank you pulled behind an ATV. You simply inject the hole with anhydrous ammonia. Simple but deadly to anyone who gets a lungfull of the ammonia, either operator or gopher. Now THAT I would be a little afraid of. This stuff goes boom underground in a confined space.

I'm moving along, and will keep people posted.

So far, the most complicated thing I have found is identifying the tunnels of the gopher (they are complex) and putting the charge in the right hole.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

One of the benefits is that you destroy the tunnel by collapsing. When poisoning or trapping, there's an empty living space for the next one to move into with very little work.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB