Harbor Freight MIG Welder Edger pliers

I keep seeing these things in the flyers from Harbor Freight and don't understand how they are used. You can see them at The item number is 44712.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

That tool is for welding sheet metal butt welds. Use on each side of weld joint makes Vee groove for weld bead then less grinding for flush welds. You decide if it is better way.

Reply to
R. Duncan

If you notice at the bottom of the page the list the related item of "Panel Flanger"

It is for doing lapped sheet metal joints.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Wouldn't you have to match the die to the gauge of sheet metal? I ask because I have to do some bodywork soon.

Thanks

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

Looking at the picture, it looks as if you could end up with something like

-----v and v----- and nest one v inside the other. Is that the idea? From your answer, it doesn't sound like it works well for you. Using modified vise grips seems like it would be slow.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

Have you used anything like these? Are they really useful or more of something that sells but doesn't really work?

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

And once nested, clamping from the back (bottom of the V) would lock them together for welding and provide a rib that would add rigidity. Am I close on this WAG? :-) The offset from the thickness of the material has me puzzled.

Reply to
Red Cloud

I have a pneumatic panel flanger/punch I bought off eBay for $40. It is much faster and easier to use than a pair of vise grips. If you do a lot of sheet metal work a flange tool is quite useful to have around.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

It's a nice tool. Even flanging and punching 16 gauge steel was no problem.

Reply to
ATP

The tool does not make Vs that can be over lapped like steel roofing.

The the modified vice grip edging tool bends maybe 1/8" edge up or down 45 degrees to form 1/2 of the V. You form the matting edge of the joint so there is a V to weld in. Better tools have adjable stops for how much of edge is bent. The side view of HF picture of tool doesn't show how much metal is bent with each bite of the tool. The ones I saw had 4" wide bending die. Eastwood Tools use to sell this tool. TP Tools, and HTP sell versions of this tool.

This link shows another version of the tool. Manual and air powered flanging tools are also shown.

R. Duncan