Helmets

I have just purchased a Millermatic 135 (in transit)for welding hollow metal door frames and related items to the commercial door business. The welder will be used both in the field and in the shop mostly for repair work on material between 12ga to 18ga. My experience with welding is at least twenty years ago with stick. I tried to read the threads on helmets but still a little confused. Solar vs battery (welder will not be used on a daily basis),large range of lighting conditions (poor light conditions on jobsite to well lighted shop), speed of auto darking, size of viewing area, etc. Like the rest of you, I do not like buying things twice. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

Get a hood with a battery.

Jackson EQC 3-in-1

or

Hornel Speedglas 9002-V

Ernie Leimkuhler

You fail to say if this is a hood for you or for your workers. There is a huge difference. If you are going to pay for the helmet and use it, I would suggest something good like a NexGen. I have one and love it. However, if it is for workers, that's another story. I would buy the best for myself, and require employee welders to provide their own.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Steve, I do all the field and custom work. The helmet would only be used by myself. My employees handle all the other installation work. This welder setup is more for a service for my clients and by doing this work I don't have to wait on another trade to show up at our convience Thanks Dennis

Reply to
Dennis