homebrew mig welder

I am planning on building my own mig welder, not to save money over buying a factory made one but mostly for the sake of doing it. I have found a schematic on the web

This is not of a commercial unit but the schematic of another homebrew unit. Is this pretty much the same as a commercial unit? The parts I have are on hand are fairly similar to the parts used in the homebrew unit. big battery charger transformer, huge rectifier stack(500 amps). I also have some of the bones of an old mig welder, about all that is left is the wire feed so I will not have to fabricate that.

I would really like to see the schematic of a few more MIG welders or get some info on what others think of the schematic before I jump into this project. This was the only schematic I could find on the web.

Jimmie

Reply to
Jimmie

Try this link:

It should take you Miller's Millermatic 130 manual. Page 17 has a schematic.

If you build your own welder, please post the results. Also if you're that good with electrical I have a job for you.

Reply to
Clandestine

WOW, I didnt know they were so simple inside. I was expecting solid state constant voltage regulators and such. I would think most anyone could build one of these if you can get the parts cheap enough to make it practical. My plan is this. I have a huge 24 volt transformer, its rated at 200 amps continuous duty. Plan is to use a big VARIAC on the input side to control the voltage. I know the type of componets I am talking about using would cost an arm and a leg but I came by most of these real cheap if not free. BIG THANKS for pointing me to the manuals, I kept looking for SCHEMATICS on Google

This is very similar to the homebrew project in the website, after looking at some of the guy's other projects I had decided he knew what he was doing.

Reply to
Jimmie

If you want to go digital control and all, I have two big hockey puck SCRs sitting in my shop looking for something to do. Price is negotiable, I'll post specs if you're interested. Pretty sure they were intended for use in inductive heating applications.

Reply to
Josh Sponenberg