How to get NG's on Mozilla/Thunderbird

Greetings all,

Subject says it all, how can I get my Newsgroups in Mozilla Thunderbird? I had to dump OE, too much trouble blocking spam e-mail, but I can not figure out how to get my NG's. Any and all help appreciated, but it may be a few days before I get to check back in with this thread, so if you do not see my immediate reply I do appreciate the help.

Regards, Jim

Reply to
Jim C Roberts

Open Thunderbird, click on 'tools', 'account settings', 'add new account', add 'Newsgroup', enter data as required. You will need the Newsgroup access settings your service provider specifies.

I'd suggest a 'munged' return e-mail address, there are 'bots' that harvest e-mail addresses from newsgroups.

Jim C Roberts wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ

Thank you Roy and Martin for your replies. Between the 2 of you I was able to get back into the NG, for better or worse. :)

And Yes Roy, munging the e-mail addy is absolutely necessary, learned that lesson the hard way a few years back, actually gave me a good excuse to drop my former ISP, CABLE ROCKS!! LOL

Jim

Reply to
Jim C Roberts

If your isp allows more than one email account, set up a second one to use for newsgroups , etc . Check it once in a while , sometimes something worthwhile comes up ... for instance the email I sent to a web hosting service (friend of mine) that ended up in his spam trap . Yes , he's now hosting my new domain .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

My ISP has 8 e-mail addresses included in the account setup. I use one as the master that only a few people know about. Another is a common mispelling of the the first account. I set that account's 'reply to' as the correct spelling, things get fixed without a hassle.

I have a couple more set up as throwaways, these are the ones that get set up to give to those miserable folks that require registration to access some data base. If it gets spammed, I just shut it down, create a new one.

Thunderbird allows multiple multiple e-mail accounts including mixing POP servers and IMAP servers. Each account can have it's own signature block, message blocking, message transfers, etc. Allows having one clean interface to both business, school, personal, and throwaway accounts.

Reply to
RoyJ

I've used T-bird . And Firefox . Both good programs , and both are sitting on my server . Wife uses them on her desktop , I'm not , for right now .

Reply to
Terry Coombs