Increasing weld penetration

My background : Hobby welder, done an intro oxy, stick, MIG course Location : Australia (240v) My gear : Cigweld Compact Turbo 130A Single Phase (Transformer)

I've been doing some basic jobs (and a lot of practice) but am having a little difficulty with one project :

I'm trying to join a 30mm tube (4mm wall) to a piece of 5mm plate (swivel mount for a bar stool). Mild 'black' steel, ground clean.

Side view

| | | |

Reply to
Antony N. Lord

If you are in a position where you _need_ penetration, the best way to acheive that is with the joint geometry. In other words, while you are grinding the tube, grind a bevel on the edge, and/or make sure there is some gap between the tube and the plate.

Reply to
Wayne Bengtsson

Given that a large amount of an external weld gets ground off (to clear the swivel mount) I'll take a crack at putting a bigger bevel on the tube...

Cheers, Antony.

Reply to
Antony N. Lord

Anthony is making a point I have had made to me... While good (deep) weld penetration in fillet welds is good, it's hard work to get usually we are talking about a millimetre or so. One wipe with a

9inch angle grinder will give you something like 2mm "fillet root penetration" on welding with a process giving no weld penetration deeper than proper fusion.

I think the suggestion is prep like this:

(have I got it correct???)

Reply to
Richard Smith

I did a similar thing and I used a piece of filler wire between the tube and the plate as a spacer. Then I made some tack welds - took off my clamps and finished the welding. I am new at welding but this did work and I had to grind flush for the same reason. The biggest problem was warping from the heat - I used an AO setup. Greg

Reply to
ConcreteArtist