Is this mystery gas tank for soda machines? (and can it be used for welding)

At my "gas house", any bottle/tank/cylinder less than 80 cu ft is assumed to be owned and is exchanged no questions asked. Higher than 80 is assumed to be leased and a receipt is required to show ownership. This is high pressure b/t/c, CO2 may have different rules. Bottom line: ask.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

That's very nice. I will definitely ask, I actually would like to get into MIG a little bit. (you may have seen my welder conversion threads)

Ignoramus21252

I don't know about other states but here in Washington State there owner bottles and lease bottles. You can buy large owner bottles. According to the folks at Central welding the exact cubic capacity is onw way of determining which type of bottle it is. For example an eighty cubic foot bottle might be an owner while the leased bottle might be either 90 or 70 cubic foot capacity. So bottles with the same approximate capacity can be either owned or leased. And the smallest bottles are all owner bottles. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Thank you Eric... Mine is a 20 cf bottle, I think. Pretty heavy for its size.

Ignoramus21252

Okay, you *should* be able to exchange it straight across for the full bottle you need, but don't be shocked if the clerk at the first welding supply you try sees the markings and says something - more likely if you aren't a regular customer and they don't know you well.

You might have to get a manager to override the decision, or take the bottle to another store. I find that our local refrigeration supply houses are much less picky about accepting "odd" N2, O2, CO2, Acetylene bottles than the welding suppliers.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I'd keep the hydro and all filling docs - just in case there is a problem. One can also prove paying for it for years - must be mine.

Martin Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Gunner wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Around here, they say owners own the high color bottles. It is a large cone of metal over the normal tank below the threads. Company bottles are just a threaded top on a simple bottle.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Eric R Snow wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn