It's a gas

Hey guys, got a probable "no-brainer" question for you, but my brain is on holiday. I have a couple of tall bottles of 85/10 gas on my Lincoln PowerMig that I haven't used for a couple of years while I was busy doing other things (driving a big truck for the last year). I'm getting ready to start welding again, but... is the gas still good? I've heard rumors that the argon settles out of the CO2, or vice-versa, but don't know if this is true. Can I just fire up the wire feeder and pick up where I left off, do I have to "mix" the gas by rolling the bottles on the floor (according to rumor), or do I need new gas?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
KLC Lewis

Oh, and the mix is 85/15, but you already knew that.

Reply to
KLC Lewis

"KLC Lewis" wrote: (clip) is the gas still good? I've heard rumors that the

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Gasses don't settle.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

"Settle" wasn't the right word. "Stratify" would be better.

Reply to
KLC Lewis

They don't stratify either. Once a homogenous mixture is attained when the gasses are blended they stay homogenous.

Reply to
Pete C.

I would hope that this is true, as it would make my life easier. Can you address the claim by various sites which claim that stratification can occur in cylinders, and the (supposed) advantages with mixing stations sold by various vendors to overcome this (supposed) problem? Also, claims in some threads on welding discussion boards that cylinders should be rolled on the floor to mix "stratified" gases?

Of note in this link is the first full paragraph on page 3

Thanks for your comments :-)

Reply to
KLC Lewis

on Fri, 17 Oct 2008 11:00:24 -0500, "KLC Lewis" wrote this wisdom:

No - someone's having you on mate !

The gases will still be properly mixed, that's one of the properties of gases from liquids and solids.

:-)

Reply to
Simon. (Zed Are Seven)

That's three for your side, none against so far. Thanks! :-)

Reply to
KLC Lewis

"SteveB" wrote: You will need them professionally mixed. You're lucky, as I am a retired

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Competition being what it is in these trying times, I can make you a better deal. I have a mixing wand that can do them in the bed of your truck, so you don't have to come back at "fourish." And I don't charge any more than Steve B, either.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

"KLC Lewis"wrote: "Settle" wasn't the right word. "Stratify" would be better. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Well, paaardon meeee. I chose the word "settle" because I was trying to connect with the OP, who used it in his question. Of course, I could have said "stratify," or "layerize," or even "de-homogenize," but I felt that what I wrote created a better communicative milieu.

Now, as to my communication with you: I will settle for stratify if you insist.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Steve, You forgot the six-pack in addition to the C note!

Bob

Reply to
BobH

You will need them professionally mixed. You're lucky, as I am a retired gas mixer. Drop them at the end of my driveway tomorrow morning with a $100 bill, I'll do them for you, and you stop by say fourish to pick them up.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO WELD WITH SEPARATED GASES.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I heard a tip that "fuel line magnetizers" from Harbor Freight work great to mix gases inside cylinders, by means of magnetic apoplexy.

Reply to
Ignoramus21227

Actually, I was the OP, and was clarifying my own question.

Thanks, :-) Karin

Reply to
KLC Lewis

Ha! Okee dokee, then. lol

Reply to
KLC Lewis

On Oct 17, 8:50=A0am, "KLC Lewis" wrote: I've heard rumors that the

You should have paid more attention is chemistry class. CO2 has a molecular weight of 44. C is 12 and O is 16. Argon has a molecular weight of 40. So they are both close to the same weight.

=20 Dan

Reply to
dcaster

"KLC Lewis" wrote: Actually, I was the OP, and was clarifying my own question. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Would you please not mention that? It makes me look (and feel) awfully dumb.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Reminds me of an old 'Candid Camera', the air in your tires needs changing.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

I've had smaller tanks of C25 and 90Ar8C2O sit for years with no trouble (at least as far as I could tell). Some years ago many of the gas companies replaced the valves in their mixed gas cylinders with eductor (dip) tube types. There is a difference between these and the dip tubes used for tanks containing liquid gasses, not sure if they are supposed to agitate the gas on withdrawl or withdraw from multiple heights at the same time.

There was some noise from customers about the arc "going cold" as the tanks drew down below 500psi. I'm sure these were production type operations that noticed that parameters were changing while welding with set procedures (not a good thing for the gas salesman).

I enjoyed the follow ups to this thread (to bad I didn't think of the 100 bucks offer...).

Matt

Reply to
matthew maguire

Not half as silly and dumb as I feel. lol

Reply to
KLC Lewis