Lincoln 175 SP+ problem

When I fire up my machine, it only runs for a short time when I pull the
trigger. By short, I mean about one second or less. I've checked all the
connections, and wiggled the blue wires that go from the gun to the circuit
board. I took the gun apart, looking for melted contacts, etc., but
nothing. After a while, it will come on and work.
I need to take it to the shop and have it fixed. But I'm wondering if
there's anything that I may be missing that's obvious or a simple fix.
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
PS: the machine stays on, with the fan motor humming, it's the drive rollers that work intermittently.
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
Have you tried adjusting the nut that holds the spool? Too much or too little tension and you will have problems. Also make sure the roller tension is adjusted and that you are using the correct groove for the size of wire you are running.
-Bret
Reply to
poe
wrote
Yup. Tried them both, but it seems like an electrical problem, as the roller runs for just a part of a second, then quits altogether.
And it is a now and then problem. Not all the time.
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
Sounds to me like a trigger switch problem. It's pretty easy DIY repair. You can get the part at just about any Lincoln authorized dealer.
--Jim Walsh
Reply to
James Walsh Jr
"James Walsh Jr" wrote
Is the trigger switch in the handle, or in the box? I did take the handle apart, but could not see anything obviously wrong. Things to look for?
Reply to
SteveB
It seems to me that if the trigger is causing something to happen, as it does, there's probably nothing wrong with it. Is there an noise like a contactor operating when you operate the trigger? There should be, thats the contactor which operates the main power. If not, the wire feed is probably stopping because there's no weld power. Take it to a service agent. After all, its not as if its actually hard to carry!
Reply to
Potblak
It goes something like this ... squeeze ......... click ........... wire runs for an inch or two, then silence and no movement.
Would bypassing the trigger switch mean putting a jumper between the two wire studs that have the push on connectors?
That's about the only thing accessible on that side of the machine. Two pull off connectors.
I've checked the other tightening nuts, etc.
I'll play with a bit more, then take it to the shop. This is what I like about brand name stuff. If you can't figure it out, or just go buy spare parts, you take it to the tek geek and get it fixed.
Try that with a Yakazukimakanohozo bargain welding machine.
Steve
Reply to
SteveB