Lincoln SP 175+

I am getting to like this less and less. The other day, I was in the welding store, and saw the new 180 with the metal drive, and whew, what a difference. The 175 has a HF looking plastic drive assembly.

I have a doorbell bar replacing the $.03 trigger that came on the gun. The guy said a Radnor (looked nice and hefty like a Tweco) was $125, or a Tweco was $125. Another POS plastic Lincoln gun would be $300. Go figger.

It is still running intermittently. It runs for 1-5 seconds at a time, then shuts down. Repeat. Repeat. The wire speed and voltage controls are hard to get synched to get the hissing sound. Some welds look great, the next gloppy.

I guess I need to take it to the shop, and put a new gun on it. It does not have that many hours on it, probably burning no more than 30# of wire so far. But now I'm using it more, I'm seeing more and more faults.

Hopefully, they have the problems worked out with the 180C. But I may go blue soon. It's sad. Lincoln has put out a real POS.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I think it is the fact that Lincoln bought Century years ago. It is like an infestation of low quality.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

My Weldpak 100 must be pre-Century . Within it's limitations it does a fine job . Even pushing the limits on thickness it does well . I mistakenly hooked it to a 208/3ph circuit the other day with my field tap , it tripped the internal breaker . I realized what I'd done , reset and hooked it to the correct voltage and went right on with the job .

Reply to
Snag

I wrote a complaint letter to Lincoln, we'll see what happens. I shall not be holding my breath. I took it all apart, and replaced the liner, which should last longer than 30# of wire maximum. It still does the intermittent starting and stopping, but will weld longer now before it shuts off. It was enough for me to finish my project to this point, but I am NOT happy with the machine.

I'd be happy with a free service on it. Something is obviously wrong, and the machine has had very light use.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

It might be possible that the plating on the liner has worn through and the inside of the liner now is rusty, making feeding hard. Do you have a problem with rust on your tools? Might be the humidity is high in your shop.

That would not really be something that is caused by Lincoln. You just need to do more welding.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Dan

Sorry I missed seeing that you had replaced the liner.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Umm , Dan - Steve lives in the desert southwest . I suspect humidity is the least of his problems . FWIW , I live in southwest Tennessee , and humidity is always a problem here . I've yet to see any rust in my liner , and my babymig spends a lot of time outdoors under a carport . I HAVE found some light rust on a 30 lb roll of .025 ER70S6 wire , though not enough to affect performance .

Reply to
Snag

Lincoln contacted me yesterday, and are sending a free gun. Big whoop. I doubt it will help any, but will try it anyway. When I shunt the trigger spade contacts, it still runs on/off/on/off/on/off, so I think it is a circuit board. Everything else is tight, polarity correct, drive roller tension correct, wingnut loose enough to allow spool to rotate .......................

I'm going to take the case off and just look inside, seeing if I can see any obvious loose wire or connector. Will pull any spades and sand contacts.

I'm going to look at a Miller.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Steve B" wrote

Is there a current equivalent to the old MillerMatic 200? I bought one in

1984 for $1250, IIRC that included a Makita chop saw. Other than replace guns, I never did ANYTHING to it. I may upgrade to a big roll-around. Suggestions? If I could find another 200 that was lost in a time warp, or just never used, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Reply to
Steve B

My friend has and loves a Millermatic 250X that I sold to him, I have a 251.

You will be just as happy with a used Millermatic 250 (non-digital).

Ignoramus6457

Long ago, when I had the MillerMatic 200, my neighbor, who had to have the newest latest most expensive whatever got one of the new Lincoln digitals. Brag, brag, brag, brag on how much better it was than the Miller. It was nothing but headaches. He was always borrowing mine, or bringing work in because his was on the fritz and not working or in the shop.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I am firmmly in the BLUE camp when it comes to welders.

Ignoramus6457

"Ignoramus6457" wrote in

I was about equal. Now, I'm definitely leaning BLUE.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Man, oh man... I would love to swing by your place with a U-Haul, forklift, and about 5k (or more) burning a hole in my wallet.

I would love to snag that welding table- is it truly dead flat? I'd turn it into an outfeed/assembly table in my wife's woodshop, and I could weld attachments to it as needed (shelves, hangers and such) and drill holes for fixture pins, tap others for bolts....

Gosh darn it, Gunner! What I already have is never quite enough.

Have you got an I-beam type rail with a (1 or 2 ton) hoist on it? One of them in my shop would be really nifty. Besides- then I could move that gorgeous table!

Reply to
Tin Lizzie DL

you do not need a forklift to unload it.

Reply to
Ignoramus29885