motor control problem on an old mig

hi. not sure if this is the right place to be asking this but if not forgive me. i just got an old powermate 90a wire feed welder model #117-021. it works kinda, but the wire feed motor stops and starts, sometimes more than others. any ideas on where to look first (the gas solenoid opens and closes along with the stop and start of the motor) any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
james.h2005

Sounds like a wiring short/open issue. Like a loose connection somewhere.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Since the gas solenoid is being energized in tandem with the motor I would look first at the switch in the gun. Dirty contacts there will do exacly what you describe. If that doesn't pan out then just follow that circuit and look for broken wires, corroded connections, and dirty contacts in a relay or contactor. There may be a broken wire in the cable leading from the gun to the welder. See if it starts and stops when holding down the trigger and moving the cable around. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow