Century/Powermate mig repair

Hi all, I bought a used mig welder Powermate and it seemed to work ok. after welding for a few hours it made a grinding /growling noise and popped the breaker. I thought I was up against the duty cycle and let it cool off, but now when I turn it on only the fan comes on.I'm not getting any arc or feed of wire. I downloaded a manual with a wiring diagram but I can't make any sense of it. Anyone have any Ideas. I'm not in this thing much money and I don't want to be but I'd like to fix it and keep it around if I could repair it DIY. Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
plepper

You probably cooked it by welding in disregard of the duty cycle, sorry.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

One would think that welding machines should have some kind of overheat protection. Am I way off base here?

Ignoramus22022

Reply to
inetcaster

Cannn yewww saaaay, "L-I-N-C-O-L-N"? I knewwww yewww could.

What good is any machine regardless of the price if it won't work first time every time?

Chalk this up to experience, and put a shackle on it for use as a boat anchor. They make good boat anchors.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

drive mechanism. I would tear into it and look for a mechanical problem with the drive. Good luck on finding parts!

Reply to
donb

I guess what I was looking for is information on how to check the Transformers diodes and such. I know that the welder is not the best but I'd like to fix it for a loaner/ backup type of deal.

Reply to
plepper