Lincoln "Coffee Pot" welder

Offered on Craigslist for $200. Description reads, "lincoln 250 amps
coffee pot welds nice. Unit runs on 240/480 three (3) phase input power."
In photo it looks pretty old and strange!
Comments/suggestions/recommendations?
John Redmond
Reply to
John Redmond
Very expensive to run, it draws max current all the time , not only while welding.
Reply to
MES
does it look like a vertical torpedo welder? With a motor/generator combo? Is it called a Lincwelder? Would your electrical system be able to start it at all? 250 amps at 40v mean tat it would generate about 10 kW of power, so it would need to have at least 15 hp motor part -- can you get that started?
see ebay auction 1900005788137 for example of a lincwelder.
I think that $200 is not a bargain for it.
Ignoramus24559
While I agree that $200 is not a bargain for the welder ig is describing, the upright torpedo welders are nice machines. I had one that I started and ran off of a 7.5HP phase converter. Welded up several anvils at 210 amps with no problems.
The older units (I forget when, maybe mid 60's) were based on a 10HP motor, newer ones on a 7.5HP motor. Mine was a 10HP version.
Steve
Steve
Reply to
Steve Smith