Lincoln Pro Core

This little welder never ceases to amaze me. I had to do some welding on a gate yesterday. Once I got a feel for it the job went smoothly enough. I did have one problem. At its highest setting it like I was welding with a weaker welder because I had to run it on 100 feet of extension cord. Yes, it's a heavy ten gage cord. Still it felt weak. I was grounded directly to bare metal on the job within inches of the weld. (Painted gate not galvanized. Paint ground off in work area.) It was weak, but it never stopped or had any issues once I got my head back into under powered mode.

I am thinking of picking up a small job site generator. Something a little bigger than my current 2600 watt peak Yamaha generator that will just barely carry a heavy drill and some flood lights. I have used it for welding with a 110V wire feed in the past and it worked, but its right on the edge.

I know a lot of the higher end welders are very specific about "clean power" generators only, but I wonder if this little cheap wire feed has any electronics that would require a top of the line generator to keep from killing it? I have been thinking of something in the 6500 watt range so I have it when I need to run something heavier occasionally.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I have a Lincoln SP125 plus that is pretty old. It works perfectly when powered by a standard generator. The generator I powered it with is now about 7 years old and is not an expensive inverter type. The circuit board in my welder has transistors, opto-isolators, and other semi-conductors. If your Lincoln is anything like mine it will probably work just fine with a run of the mill generator. Speaking of Lincoln welders, I love mine too. I bought it used and it had been used pretty hard. When I decided to add a gas purge button I took the thing apart and noticed that it was full of Bondo dust. Nevertheless it never overheated and burned something up. After cleaning it up inside and modifying the circuit board with the purge button circuit it has never failed me. I have caused it to shut down several times when welding heavy material for too long but after it cools down it works great. My neighbor had one given to him a few months ago and I'm trying to talk him into selling it to me so that I can set one up for gas and the other for innershield. Eric

Reply to
etpm

First I have to make a correction. I was using my 12ga cord. Not my 10ga cord. My 10ga was not long enough.

As to it shutting down. Don't you really know its about to shut down before it does because the weld quality goes to crap? I've noticed that on all of my welders except the AC cracker box which will continue to throw out crappy welds as long as you keep welding when it gets hot. LOL.

In fact that was one of the hardest things I had to learn (took me years) was that once a welder gets hot its impossible for a hack like me to get a decent weld until it cools down again. I always thought it was my lack of experience. It wasn't until I discovered this group and started learning from others that I realized I had been running up against the duty cycle all these years. Learning that was one of two things that improved my weld quality exponentially. They other was getting an autodark helmet.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

The weld quality does not suffer. It just stops. Maybe the temp sensor is shutting the machine off before it gets so hot the welding suffers. Whatever the reason the machine welds great and then stops with no warning. Eric

Reply to
etpm