Micro ball plasma arc welding

Hi,

I'm a fresher out of college working for a company who are involved in plasma arc welding the ends of wires .035 inch diameters. they can get no consistancy in welds, i feel the fixturing may be an issue but have no clue as to what to change to, currently it is a set of jaws that clamp down on the wire.

i would appreciate any help so that i can keep my job!

Brent

Reply to
Brent

Some things to think about. Fixture wires securely in copper chill blocks very close to the weld area. This will facilitate proper position and prevent wire from melting back too far. Position the tungsten electrode very close to the weld joint, around

0.030 inch gap. Prepurge gas for a second or two. Use a spot timer to control the arc time and use a very short duration weld, maybe 0.5 second or less. Adjust current to match the short time duration.
Reply to
Ipeak