Need help ID-ing steel bar (is is weldable)

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 08:16:48 -0700, Christopher Tidy

They get about 1,000 negatives per month, last time I checked.
On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 12:00:11 -0500, Ignoramus21078

Looking at their recent feedback seems to indicate that nearly all of their negs and neutrals are from people that are expecting more than is reasonable, given the descriptions of the items and the business that the seller is in. Caveat Emptor!
Mark Rand RTFM
On Jun 1, 6:14 pm, Ignoramus27006 <ignoramus27...@NOSPAM. 27006.invalid> wrote:

Whatever the alloy may be, you can't know now unless you have a chemical analysis done. Any steel (or other alloy) is available as FGS if you know wherre to look. The fact that it's magnetic tells us it can probably be hardened and nothing else. There may be a color code painted on one end or not...it may be stainless or not....it may be a tool steel or a powder-metallurgy special application alloy. I agree with whoever it was that said to put it off to the side for something special. Sacrifice some to heat treat and see what happens- my interest is primarily tool steels and cutting things and you'd be floored to learn what some steels are capable of, let alone what it takes to properly heat treat them. Of course, it could be one of the cobalt alloys that doesn't need heat treatment. If whacking it with a hammer dents it, it probably is not cobalt. If it is cobalt do NOT try to cut it because you'll end up needing to replace your equipment. And this is a helluva lot more than I figured on writing when I started. Brian
On Jun 1, 8:14 pm, Ignoramus27006 <ignoramus27...@NOSPAM. 27006.invalid> wrote:

Igor,
I bought some tool steel that looks like that. I think it was "D-2" but I don't remember. However, I'll wager that it is hardenable tool steel.
Someone recommended a spark test. By comparing the spark glitter pattern to the pattern of known specimens you can come pretty close to determining what it is. I'll wager that it's high carbon of some kind. If so, for it to be weldable would imply pre- and/or post heat.
Vernon
On Jun 1, 6:14 pm, Ignoramus27006 <ignoramus27...@NOSPAM. 27006.invalid> wrote:

Since you have already contacted steel suppliers, and patiently searched "metal color codes" and similar terminology without finding your answers quit trying to ID it and do some experimenting to find useful properties. After all, this is not an engineering group where exact parameters need to be known.............. Brian

Besides, Iggy.... who told you stainless steel wasn't (easily) weldable?
LLoyd