Nickle/bronze vs TiG weld strength

In a situation where there is a T joint, in .065" mild steel tube, with the joint properly fish-mouthed and fitted to maximise each technique, which will be stronger - a nickle/bronze welded joint with a large fillet of at least 1/4 - 3/8" or a TiG welded joint with minimal filler material to make it look as pretty as possible.

We think that the nickle/bronze joint will be stronger due to the increased surface area of the joint. We also think the brazed joint will be stiffer, because of increase bearing surface. We have tested this and we seem to confirm our thinking, the TiG welded joint fails first. We think the reduced HAZ is part of this.

What say you all? The application is small formula race car construction. Interesting to note that Van Diemen cars are, I am told, nickle-bronze welded 4130 tube constructions even today.

Brian

Reply to
Brian

Nickle-bronze on 4130 is an old British thing. I am surprised that anybody still uses it.

If the TIG weld was done right, it should be stronger, but in truth the weak point is the tube itself, not the weld.

The brazed joint is easier to get strength with, but the welded joint should be able to take greater deformation without failing, IF DONE RIGHT.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler