normally DC welding rods to AC

Hi everyone
Following "Re: May have asked before... still undecided... MIG vs
TIG/Stick" thread.
Want to ask if normally DC rods can be used on AC in any conditions.
I know for instance that 6010 will run "open-arc" on AC - can use it
to fillet-weld or the like. There is mention of 7018 on AC. Is that
at higher currents?
I've seen mention that in shipyards and like, use big 7018's on AC to
avoid arc-blow. (???)
Are there any rules or general guidelines for this?
Rich S
Reply to
Richard Smith
7018AC rods are made and stamped that. They have some difference that makes them burn better than the other rods on AC. I do not know about the other rod designations. I use 6011 with stinger negative to weld thin tubing, and you won't find that listing in many places. But it can be done. Just get some and try it. It might not work perfectly, and you'd get a gorilla weld, but if it's good enough to hold for THAT piece of metal, then ............
Rule here is: As long as the spare doesn't go bouncing down I-405 in front of you, it's good enough. Oh, rule 2: If it's behind you, don't look and don't stop.
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
Best is to refer to the mfg specs. sample here
out pages 4 to 7, details on the full spec sheet pages. Preferred polarity is listed first. A lot of the rods will work on AC, just work better on DC. And some of the AC listed rods get pretty crabby on AC, usually get lots more spatter. 6010 is listed as DC+ only.
Richard Smith wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ
IMHO, and experience, yes, AC rods are crabby. Therefore, it takes a steadier hand to keep the proper consistent arc length, or then you have to turn up the amperage, which is why AC is used for thicker materials.
Steve
Reply to
SteveB