Oh Fuuuudddgggee.

It was a lovely evening last night when I headed out to the shop.

20°, the birds were singing, sun was shining. I started by clearing a customer job off my bench. Then I moved on to my new (free!) lawnmower. Reinforced and welded up the cracked spot in the recoil housing, cleaned the air filter, topped up the oil, put in some fresh gas, and it started on the first pull! Fantastic! Did some assembly and preliminary testing on my bandsaw blade welding fixture. Worked out pretty good for a first try, just some minor tweaks and practice needed. A 0.040" diameter tungsten makes a big difference when you're down around 20amps.

A little clean up while I wait for the cooling fan on the welder to stop. A gentle rain is now falling. A most excellent evening, I've crossed three things off my list. The fan stops, I flip the switch to shut the welder off...... and nothing happens. I guess the switch broke when I switched it on, and is now permanently 'on'. Doh. Shut off the breaker in the panel, and console myself by reminding myself how productive the evening was. Sigh.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Snell

Murphy strikes again!

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

(...)

(...)

What make and model welder, Pete? Perhaps we can download a schematic and have a look.

Is it possible the fan's thermostatic control is wired on the 'line' side of the power switch as we see on page

30 of
?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I re-read your post 'for comprehension'. The fan *did* stop. DoH!

Still, make and model info would be helpful.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Heh, you got two steps forward and only one step back on your list of projects. And a nice evening to boot. Sounds like a winner to me!

I must admit that the first time a read it I spotted the "20 degree" temp reference and figured you were > It was a lovely evening last night when I headed out to the shop. 20°,

Reply to
RoyJ

Thanks Winston. It's a Lincoln Squarewave 275. The switch is mechanically broken (you can feel it) I'll just have to replace it.

I have been thinking though (uhoh). This welder has the optional power factor capacitors installed. I should probably discharge them before poking around in there. What would be the best procedure for that? (they're big suckers) Or am I worrying about nothing?

Pete

Reply to
Pete Snell

Yeah, it was a good evening. Just hated the note it ended on!

Yes, 20°C! Finished with the 20°F temps a couple of months ago. Actually we're two to three weeks ahead on our spring weather compared to past years. The tulips are almost finished, I've cut the grass twice, and the mosquitos are coming out!

Pete

Reply to
Pete Snell

Safety First!

I'd clip an incandescent lamp across the phases starting now so that the caps are reasonably flat by the time the covers come off.

After the covers are off, I'd use a 'shorting stick' across the caps as insurance. (Wear Protection please)

This one, yes?

Looks like the PF caps are downstream from the power switch.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Considering the number of welders laying around this place that had (or have) the usual problems with broken switches, broken cable jacks, noisy fans looking for a rebuild, and similar, I just don't think the problem over powers the nice evening.

Reply to
RoyJ

It's hard to believe how fast you can melt a 2-inch section of screwdriver blade, isn't it? I hate the sizzling noise as a glob flies by your ear.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

That lines up with my thought. It's single phase supply (220V)

Gee I've got lots of universal shorting sticks lying about! I'll use a heavy gauge one to avoid the splatter effect Ed has apparently observed.

That's the one! I have a call into my friendly neighbourhood welding supply store about the switch. Hopefully this won't soak up the money I saved by getting the free lawn mower! :-)

Pete

And yes, it was a productive evening, and I shouldn't complain. It's just kinda like having a nice evening out and finding a parking ticket on your car at the end of it.

Reply to
Pete Snell

I'm exagerating, but I did burn the tip off of a screwdriver when working on a car battery once, and it wound up a melted glob that hit the floor. And molten lead from a battery terminal, not hot steel, did whiz past my ear on another occassion. It still makes a sickening, sizzling sound.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

As long as you didn't release the magic smoke, it should be an easy fix. Replacing the magic smoke is much more difficult.

Reply to
Denis G.

Hmmm.. that brings up the vague memory of one of the heavy equipment mechanics working in my Dad's shop sitting on a battery with a wrench in his back pocket. I seem to remember a lot of cursing, and some smoke. I was pretty young, so the cursing seemed more memorable at the time. ;-)

Pete

Reply to
Pete Snell

I keep a can in my toolbox just in case.

It is British though, so I can't be sure the polarity is correct.....

Pete

Reply to
Pete Snell

That is COOL!

The 'Lucas' logo in the corner is the topper.

Too Funny!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

I positively adore that noise, relative to the feeling that one is rumored to get (G) when one is the target of said glob.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

That's a good point. As Bill says, it must be hard not to flinch.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I love it! You're way ahead of me!

Reply to
Denis G.

Cool!!!

Brought to you by Lucas Electrical aka 'Pr> Denis G. wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ