Miller Dynasty DX 300

I ran across a naked Dynasty DX 300, built about 1998 based on the serial number. The owner is asking $1000 for the machine alone, but can sell a WP17 torch and regulator for an additional $100. No foot pedal. That I'd have to find on my own along with an argon tank. Is the price fair for a 12 year old machine? I've never owned a TIG machine before, nor an inverter welder. What to look out for? Strictly for hobby use, and probably mostly on lighter gage material.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

What's that Lassie? You say that GeoLane at PTD dot NET fell down the old sci.engr.joining.welding mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Wed, 05 May 2010 21:31:08 -0400:

Get the serial number and contact Miller. They can tell you about all the features and if there are any recalls or other issues. And if it was reported stolen.

They (Miller) have a few discussion forums too. You could ask around there as for the price.

Reply to
dan

I did find the Miller forums as well as Welding Web and placed inquiries there as well. So far only one response - just buy it. I would if it looked like the current models, but with all the analog knobs, I want to know what I'm buying first. I didn't know inverter machines were in the mainstream 12 years ago.

The SN is giving me an error message when I try to obtain a manual for it at Miller's site. I've got a query in to their tech support to obtain a manual. I may learn more via that contact.

Thanks for your response.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

(...)

Here you go! Manual:

Guide:

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Actually I think what he's talking about is this one.

I have absolutely no experience with this model so I've not responded. My thoughts on it are all concerns. A quick check shows that though many of the parts are available (more than I figured actually) they are all very very expensive. Inverters do tend to have a life limit on some of the parts and those parts can take more out when they blow. Repair when it does go down could easily cost way more than buying a new one.

My checks show that this is probably the very first of the Dynasty series and that it was only made for 1-2 years. Changing serial number year designation earlier shows no manual and one year later is a totally different manual and machine.

While it might be possible that Miller just made a quick design upgrade it's also possible this model proved have some design flaw that caused them to do a quick redesign.

So unless this is free or very nearly free then I think I would pass but that's just me.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

My thoughts exactly. In addition, it may have problems that are not obvious with a power up or a simlpe "make an arc" test. It may be that the seller knows about them.

Ignoramus27024

No. That's the one with digital controls like the current ones. This one has analog knobs.

That's the one. I couldn't find it at the Miller site.

....snip......

He's asking $1000 for the machine without torch, pedal, etc.

Your concerns are the same as mine which is why I asked, but didn't know you could check parts availability. I'm less enamored of it hearing someone else say the same thing, but I'm not ruling it out. It has sat on the market for about 2 weeks, so others may know something about this old model that we don't yet. I"m hoping someone has some experience with these.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

Hard to know. The seller says that all functions work, but unless you're experienced, you can't tell and are at his mercy. The price however is less than half of what sellers normally ask for a used one. It would be nice to have an inverter machine because of portability and compactness compared to a syncrowave, not to mention power demand, not that I weld much thick stuff anyway.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

It's the 'Dynasty DX', not the 'Dynasty DX 300'.

Gotcha. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

It helps to know the Miller date code system. In your case if you would of just put in the two letters at the first of the serial number you would of gotten it. The full serial is not required.

Go here and put in some of the part numbers from the manual.

Wayne Cook

The seller listed the full SN in his ad, but when I enter the full number or just the KJ prefix, I get this error message:

"The Model Name and Serial Number combination you have entered is not valid. Please verify your information and try again. "

I could have been a typo on the seller's part, but who knows.

In the end it didn't matter. Someone else bought it today. The earliest I could have gotten there was Tuesday.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

Doh! I tried entering the SN and Dynasty DX and got it.

Thanks.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

Soitny!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Actually the just the KJ prefix should of brought it up. Most likely you had picked the wrong model number. Sometimes Millers manual site can be confusing. I've had to go through several similar models listed with a serial number till I found the one that actually matched.

Personally I think you're better off this way.

No problem Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

That was the cause. It had to be listed as Dyansty DX, not Dynasty

300 DX.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET