Old cast alluminum pulley

I picked up a "Fray All Angle Mill" a few weeks back. Interesting piece of equipment! Suspect it was built for Navy shipboard use, WW II or Korean War vintage. The motor pulley is a 7 step cast aluminum pulley, the smallest step has the open side broken out in several places. This kills off the lowest speed, I really need that step.

I can turn down the broken edge so that I will be dealing with a 1-3/8" outside, 1" bore inside, add a 1/4" thick ring of 6061 (or whatever), and then turn the welded on ring to the proper 'V' belt angles. Weld prep can be anything needed. I have an SD180 and a good operator but I can't take a chance on screwing this up. I only have one chance.

Questions: What alloy is this thing? Is it likely that that alloy can be welded? Which weld rod? What size? Weld prep? What material for the added flange?

Reply to
RoyJ

Are you sure its aluminum? It may be Zemac (potmetal)

Gunner

Gunner

Just a thought, but if the size you need is a standard size, perhaps you could mill off one side of a good pulley, mill off the bad part of that pulley, and bolt them together, recreating a good pulley?

Reply to
carl mciver

Reply to
RoyJ

Try Tig to test a small area (1/2 inch long)of the metal. If it melts it is weldable. Then you could try an aluminum 1/16" rod and try to weld it on top of the metal that you tested. If it welds then you are sure that it is aluminum.

Try this aluminum rod.

Aluminum 4043

Datasheet

5% Silicon Aluminum Welding Rods Bright Finish AWS A5.10 Class ER4043

Description: AUFHAUSER 4043, 5% Silicon bare aluminum welding rods, flows freely at 1155 =B0F (623 =B0C) and can be used with the gas or gas tungsten-arc welding processes. Aufhauser brazing flux Flux10 is recommended for gas welding of this alloy.

Application: Recommended for welding 3003, 3004, 5052, 6061, 6063, and casting alloys 43, 355, 356 and 214.

Typical Composition: Si 4.5-6.0%; Cu 0.30 Max.; Fe 0.80 Max.; Mn 0.05 Max.; Zn 0.10 Max.; Mg 0.05 Max.; Ti 0.20 Max.; Others 0.15 Max.; Al Balance (95%).

Reply to
agbasinillo