OT Electronic questions for the group

Greetings all,

So I've been checking out some of the online sources for micro sd cards. I have wanted one for my mp3 player for a while and now that I have a phone that will take one I started seriously looking at them. Newegg.com has what looks like some really good prices, but I am not sure exactly what I am looking at. That's where you all come in (BG)

First off, >

This is a 2GB card with 2 adapters. Why 2? I can see one to enable you to plug it into a normal sd card reader but what is the other one for?

Secondly, >

This one is a 1GB card with a USB card reader. I kinda like the idea of this type of set up as USB ports are about everywhere you look these days. My daughters car stereo has one on it so you can play music directly from it, beats the heck out of my old cassette player from back in the day, but I digress...

And lastly, >>

Here is one with all of the above, 2 adapters plus the USB plug, fun for one and all? I recognize the Kingston brand name, a good name from all I have heard and seen, not so sure about Transcend, anyone?

Thanks in advance for any and all help/opinions, Jim

Reply to
Jim C Roberts

Well, something I can answer! The two adapters are used to adapt the micro SD card to other formats. As you say, one is to adapt to a normal SD slot. The other is to adapt to a MINI SD slot. Not too many devices use the mini SD card, but a few phones and the Nokia N810 do.

Reply to
Jworman

Hi Jim

You'll be safe with any of the big brand names: Sandisk, Kingston etc

As the PP said the different adaptors are so you can plug them into different format devices: MP3/4 players, Cameras, TVs etc

USB headunits rock, I love mine but folder navigation is a PITA. USB sticks are as cheap as chips (fries ;) ) & I have 3 4Gb ones in my van now.

If you go for the larger cards 4+Gb of the SDHD type I belive you can't just use a 'normal' SD reader.

Readers are cheap too if you find you went for the wrong one.

Reply to
Balders
2 Adaptors so you can use it in a micro SD, Mini SD or SD device.
Reply to
Bob La Londe

Ok you got good poop on the two adapters...

Here is my experience.

Two digital phones now with Micro size.

One Kodak frame. The normal one is a slow pig. I bought a high speed version of SD card and that flys!

Slow - I mean 30 minutes to 1 hour to ID all of the pictures. Flys - I mean 30 seconds to ID all of the pictures.

I put a fast one (naturally ) in my Camera so I can save pictures faster and take another.

Toshibia was my brand name. They are not the largest. Look before you buy.

MP3 might want to send fast data - maybe a fast one is best.

Try Sams if you have one - they sell them for phones and cameras.

Mart> Greetings all,

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I just ordered a 4gb Sandisk Cruzer USB stick last night $8.62 + $1.95 shipping. From eTECH through Amazon, the cost is $24.99 at Walmart. Mike

Reply to
amdx

First, thanks for all of the replies, I knew I could count on this group.

Secondly, I intend on going with either Kingston or Sandisk(My mp3 player is Sandisk), staying with a 2GB size(I have been warned that larger than that may be a problem with some of our "toys") and I will probably purchase both the SD adapters as well as the USB just to cover all of the bases.

The next problem I see if keeping up with those little buggers! I have seen cases for CD's and the old 3.5" floppies, wonder if anyone has come up with a storage system for the sd's? Guess I will hit Google up, again. :)

Lastly, Am I to understand that there are 3 different sizes of the sd's? A "Standard/Full" like what fits in my camera and is accepted in an interface on my printer/copier, a "micro" which would fit in my mp3 player and phone and a "mini" which I assume is between the other two in size? That seems to be the only reason for the 2 adapters. ???

Thanks again for all of the help, Jim

Reply to
Jim C Roberts

Yes.

Nice pictures can be found here:

They keep getting smaller. I was looking at 16 GB micro SD cards in Best Buy just the other day and shaking my head in amazement how far storage has come in my life. I still remember thinking a 256 MB RM05 was a huge capacity disk drive. The thought that you could the storage of 62 of those drives on a little chip smaller than your fingernail is just amazing to me.

Reply to
Curt Welch

Little ones can be made to fit most things. You can't cut a large one in two to make it fit small things ;)

Small ones are more easily lost. Try to keep them in the device.

My Sandisk came with a little plastic case & a zippered neoprene pouch with a keyring.

Don't keep them in your back pocket! You can buy aluminium (aluminum) storage cases - try a good PC store or Photo place. Sorry I can't be too specific, I'm over the pond.

Reply to
Balders

Additional:

And

I know it's UK Amazon but it'll give you an idea what to look out for :)

Reply to
Balders