Oxy/acet torch question from rec.crafts.metalworking

I have just picked up a med duty Victor torch/cutting set and I had some > questions...

> > My kit doesn't come with backflow/arresters and I'm wondering if I should > worry about using the torch without them? I'm using the smallest sized O2 > and acet bottles my supplier carries so I don't know if that makes a > difference from a pressure standpoint? > > The manual that comes with the kit suggests using the arresters but I > wanted > to ask from a 'first hand experience' perspective as to whether or not I > truly need them? I don't want to have a fire or blow myself up but I've > been using portable 1lb MAP torches for years and never had a backfire, > problem, etc... > > Is there any other advice you could offer a noobie like myself? My first > two projects are going to be fixing the exhaust on an old project car and > building a welding cart. Should I use coat hanger to weld the exhaust > with? > I've heard this works very well. > > Can I weld the exhaust with the MAP torch or is it not hot enough? I'm > itching to get this torch fired up but I have visions of causing a problem > without the arresters in place... > > > Thanks for any and all advice. > Andrew. >
Reply to
SteveB

"SteveB" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com:

Think of it as a "negative" lottery.

If you weld A LOT or are a moron, you DO NOT want to "win". Flashback arrestors will prevent you from "winning".

If you don't weld much and are reasonably intelligent, you will probably not create situations that can cause flashback.

Having said this, I use them anyway. It would be too embarrassing to blow myself up because I didn't use them.

Reply to
Dev Null

I can't see this post. Is it only me?? Can you repost? Thanks! Andrew.

Reply to
AWN

If you use O/A - can you please tell me how long you've used it for, if you've ever had an accident and if you endorse or actually physically support the use of backflow preventers/arresters?? Do you think that an arrester is better at the torch or reg? I figured if the line caught fire, I'd want it at the reg to avoid the tank going up in flames. Thoughts? Do you wear a mask when O/A welding??

I have a victor torch and to my knowledge it isn't the one that has the flashback arresters built in. Although, I'm going to run to check for sure as I was shown at PraxAir (local welding supply house) what to look for.

Thanks for any and all help! Andrew.

Reply to
AWN

If there's any interest, this article seems to offer some decent insight:

I apologize for the xpost...

Andrew.

Reply to
AWN

I use them at the regulator just for peace of mind. I don't wear a mask, but proper PPE (personal protective equipment) FOR ANY WELDING is vital. Proper shade, gloves, long sleeve heavy cotton shirt ( I like khaki Wranglers ) cap to protect what hair I got left, and ear plugs. Hot sparks in the ears from welding can cause big big problems. I also like to use shaded full face shields as my eyes don't sweat like they do in goggles. Plus I wear glasses, and they fit over glasses and provide protection for them.

HTH

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Most modern torches have back-check valves built in. Some have flashback arrestors built in. Harrold, who owns Hansen and Miller, says he hates the torches with arrestors built in because they tend to get clogged with soot. He recommends backcheck valves on the torch and arrestors on the regulator. You may lose a hose, but the regulator would be safe. That is what I have at school on all our torch sets.

Reply to
stagesmith

an interesting story for you.

was at the oshkosh airshow attending a seminar on O/A welding. during the lecture portion the speaker heavily stressed the use of arrestors, showing many regulators and hoses that failed.

then he went to show us how to properly turn on a O/A rig using his personal gear. I shot up my hand and asked him to point out the arrestors.

there weren't any.

Reply to
Tater

Priceless.

Reply to
SteveB

Thanks for the reply. I ended up picking up some flashback arresters for $50 worth of peace of mind. I welded my first O/A exhaust system and it isn't absolutely terrible. My largest problem getting going was full comprehension of the neutral flame. I was running a carbon-laiden acetelyne rich flame that was lacing all my work with soot and causing poor joints. It really is an artform. I imagine that after maybe 10 more projects I will be much more dialed in. I'm reluctant to feel too secure doing O/A welding on my back just yet but I'm getting more comfortable as we go.

Thanks again for all your support. Andrew.

Reply to
AWN

I guess it's a simple case of 'do as I say not as I do'.... When teaching safety though this is a little silly and somewhat unacceptable as an oversight IMO.

Andrew.

Reply to
AWN