oxy leak

I have a oxy/acet. cutting torch which leaks a small amount of oxygen out of the cutting nozzle centre hole even with the torch turned off I have taken it to the local welding repair shop but they refuse to even look at it because it is too old could some one help me with this problem

Reply to
All at 58

If it is Victor, they will sell the parts to you directly.

Cass

Reply to
Cass

All at 58 wrote: I have a oxy/acet. cutting torch which leaks a small amount of oxygen out of the cutting nozzle centre hole even with the torch turned off (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ You don't say whether this is a welding torch with a cutting attachment, or a dedicated cutting torch. However, in either case, there should be two oxygen valves, in addition to the lever operated valve which actually starts the cut. From your description, the valve which admits the high pressure oxygen to the cutting circuit, and the lever operated valve must both be leaking slightly. However, if the leakage is not too severe, I would think you could go ahead and use the torch. You will waste a little oxygen, so be sure to shut the cylinder valve while you are not actually using the torch, or at least back off the regulator.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

"All at 58" wrote in news:3f44c329 snipped-for-privacy@news.chariot.net.au:

The material that makes the seat in cutting valve is trashed. It uses a gasket just like a typical (seated) home water valve.

I've repaired such leaks using neoprene sheet, flat roofing neoprene, about 1/ 16 inch or so.

Reply to
Rager