Oxy welding newbie questions

I think I'm going to pick up a basic kit and take it up.

Grizzly Industrial has a couple of sets (and I have some gift certificates to use):

Are either of these any good?

What's the better deal on tanks? Buy a pair? Or a tank exchange deal? I figure I'll start with a couple of small ones and move up if I turn out to be any good.

The local Airgas web page (much more expensive equipment) lists all their sets with a CGA-510, CGA-300, etc., spec. What's that? I know CGA = "Compressed Gas Association". But are the numbers different gas mixes, regulator fitting sizes, or what?

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Lots of good advice here already. Will just add that the use group for Welding is Sci.Engr.joining.welding. Ernie is the Guru there. Take anything he says as gospel. There are some other good people there too.

I would recommend looking at Harbor Freight. They sell two different torch sets. I am pretty sure that both of them are exact copies of Victor. So you do not have to worry about getting replacement parts. Not that you are likely to need any. I have a Sears ( Harris ) torch that I got over fifty years ago and although the oxygen regulator gave out after thirty years, the only other parts have been some standard size orings.

In looking at Harbor Freight, they only sell welding tips for one of the two torch sizes. Naturally I have a small Victor torch that is the size they do not stock replacement tips. ( I got it in a trade and never had the tips I want. )

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I forgot to add Lincoln has good books at very reasonable prices on welding.

Get some silver solder and flux. Silver soldering is easy and works really well for something. H & H have good info on the web.

Go by the local Community College or who ever teaches welding. You may be old enough that they will waive most of the tuition. And a little instruction is a good thing. If you qualify for tuition waiver, it is cheaper to use their gas than to buy your own. If you do not qualify, ask if the instructor knows anyone that will spend an hour or so with you for a reasonable price. Most of learning is just doing it. But a little instruction can speed things along.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I just watched the "tools" category on craigslist for a few months, and picked up a used set with small bottles fot $125.

Reply to
Bob F

Hi Dan, Thanks for posting this. Help me by translating who the H & H is who have good info on the web.

-- Murray

Reply to
M Powell

Sorry about that. Handy & Harman I had to do a little search it find the names.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Dan