Picture of the cylinder lifting hook

I am sorry you missed the most important part: do as you please.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I'm sorry. Where did I state that?

I've seen dozens of damaged loose fitting caps in the oilfield. All hoisted in metal cages and chained off. I have never ever in my life seen one lifted by the cap only. I have seen them hoisted by rope and chain in tight locations where a crane could not put a basket. I personally think rope is much safer than chain, but that's a personal choice. My statement that there are many means to safely lift them, but personally, I don't think lifting them by the cap is safe. You can and will do as you like.

Did you get it that time, Bookie?

Steve, the gopher killer

Reply to
SteveB

Just for info, in the link that someone posted for the Victor Heating, Cutting & welding guide it clearly states on page 2-6 "Never lift the cylinder by its protective cap"

*goes back to lurking and learning*
Reply to
Balders

Now, now, now, don't confuse the man with facts.

BTW, I did read the same thing in several cites provided by readers here. But Victor knows piffle compared to Mr. Watson.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
SteveB

"Watson" wrote in news:490e56d5$0$31752$ snipped-for-privacy@news.ThunderNews.com:

What state/country are you in?

I only ask so that I can - hopefully - avoid it if you routinely lift bottles bu the cap...

Reply to
Eregon

"Watson" wrote in news:490e57d4$0$31767$ snipped-for-privacy@news.ThunderNews.com:

Whut's a gopher?

Izzat won uv them Yankee critters zat Steve keeps trying to eradicate?

Yuno - them thangs that Congresscritters use to help them make peoples' lives more difficult?

Evur so offen, sumwon tries to import them into Texas but the coyotes keep eetenum up.

Reply to
Eregon

Kyotes heer is uhlergic to em. I got kyotes AND gofers in the frunt yard, and they waves to each other and give the Iitalyun saloot. I yam out of oxegen for my blaster, and now am running 85 octane fumes down the holz. Tough crowd this yeer. Must be Demokratt gofers.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Like wise. Let me know what state you are transporting high pressure cylinder in, with protective caps so defective the can't be trusted to 1% or their original design capacity.

You guy can't have it both ways. If a cap won't lift the mere weight of the cylinder, it sure as hell can't protect the valve.

Reply to
Watson

| > So you think it is SAFE to transport a high pressure cylinder (steel | > bottle | > rocket) with a valve cap so damaged you can pull it off by hand? | | I'm sorry. Where did I state that?

In every post, including below.

| | I've seen dozens of damaged loose fitting caps in the oilfield. All hoisted | in metal cages and chained off. I have never ever in my life seen one | lifted by the cap only. I have seen them hoisted by rope and chain in tight | locations where a crane could not put a basket. I personally think rope is | much safer than chain, but that's a personal choice. My statement that | there are many means to safely lift them, but personally, I don't think | lifting them by the cap is safe. You can and will do as you like. | | Did you get it that time, Bookie? |

If a cap is so loose or damaged it can't safely lift the cylinder, it can't possibly protect the valve during transport.

Did YOU get it that time, Dumb ass?

Reply to
Watson

| > How do stupid people kill gophers? | >

| > Sure, when employers pay you to do stupid things, do stupid thing. But you | > have yet to prove it is unsafe. | | I am sorry you missed the most important part: do as you please. | | Steve | |

You still have provided no data that proves lifting cylinders by the cap is unsafe. Prohibited by some employers, yes, but unsafe, no.

Reply to
Watson

Agreed, several cites have stated the same thing, but I didn't see anything that said why.

I think the reason most companies forbid the practice, is they have far too many employees like SteveB, that are just too stupid and/or incompetent, to assure the cap is completely seated before doing so..

Reply to
Watson

Protect the valve from what? Dust? Rain? They won't do that. And so long as they at least sit down on the threads or thread down loosely, they will protect it SOMEWHAT from lateral blows. After that, if it's a hard enough blow, nothing's going to save it.

Mere weight of a cylinder? How much would you guess a large filled oxygen cylinder weighs? How about an acetylene?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I didn't say I thought it was safe, I stated that it is done all the time. Just how much time do you/have you spent around welding?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I have not, but others have. Do I need to dig up their OSHA and manufacturer's instructions, or can you just believe them? Sorry you missed them.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Doing so what? Making sure cap is seated before hooking a steel lifting hook to the cap? So that the point can possibly go in and really cause some excitement by buggering the valve? Or opening it? Or just damaging it? Or tweak the cap so much you need a 36" Stillson to get it off and then have NO useful protective cap? And then paying ridiculous amounts of money when the cylinder is returned with a damaged cap? Is it THAT "doing so"?

I don't know what your welding background is, but most places I've ever worked would fire a man for lifting cylinders by the cap after the first warning. Of course, in the hobby shop home environment, it is different.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"SteveB" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com:

Ya maybe rite!

'Course, down hear we don' feed the kyotes as well as Y'all do up their.

You've got Gofers, we've got Wetbacks.

Reply to
Eregon

"SteveB" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com:

He may have inherited one of the "backpack" rigs with the miniature bottles.

He seems to be ignorant of the difference between a side impact and a longitudinal pull on threaded components.

As I'm sure that -you- know, Steve, the stresses on the threads are unequal with a side impact in that one side will be lifted while the other will be pushed down and wedging the treads, thus producing a stronger "joint" than a simple sliding fit.

Apparently, "Watson" hasn't spent much time around the folks who routinely handle these bottles: If his theory was correct, every truck that delivers bottled gasses would have a crane rather than a lift gate.

Reply to
Eregon

I suspect the reason for not using the cap for lifting is pure redundant safety. If something goes wrong with lifting by the cap (cap tears, unscrews, etc) and you drop it, we would all like to have the cap intact when it hits.

Sorta like the ground wire > Made one up tonight. Some comments on the webpage.

Reply to
RoyJ

Well, tomorrow, I take the big O2 cylinder to be refilled. I have one tenacious little bastard that is wreaking havoc in the front yard. I've tried bubble gum and ATV exhaust down the hole, but so far, he's winning.

Up here, we don't have too many wetbacks. I saw my first Negro in months the other day. I like Utah. I liked my years in Texas, too. Texans are real Americans.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB