porosity in 1/8 7018

This is really a problem with the Al rods I tried. I found that a quick tap on concrete would take care of business Even so, I still never got a bead per say. Just a pile of chicken poop. (anyone here master AL43s ?)

Reply to
cl

I wouldn't say master but I've gotten lucky a few times. :-)

My first experience with them was pure luck that it turned out as well as it did. I was about 16 and my dad wanted me to weld the aluminum hot water heater tank out of our camper which had rotted some holes into the bottom. It had been welded before by the previous owner who owned the local machine shop. But he was gone on vacation at the time and none of the workers there would even try it. Thus dad made me go with him up there to weld it. I didn't have a clue how to set the welder which I'd never used before and it didn't have any markings of what amperage you had it set to. I'd been welding for about 3 years by this time using a ancient Marquette cracker box at home. I knew that it would likely just fall in on me so I ran extremely fast with the beads and it turned out that I had the welder set pretty hot. Somehow it all turned out just right and the beads melted in real well without burning through. When the owner of the shop came back he couldn't believe I managed to do it. He'd never been able to make the rods work properly stick welding and had always used a torch to do jobs like that with those rods.

If I tried to do that now days I just burn a huge hole in the tank. :-)

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

My problem is the sucker just doesn't want to flow, just bob-up (1/4 inch). I tried bot DC+ and DC- just incase. I can mig or O/A it but I want to use stick :)

Reply to
cl

I believe I commented on this some time ago..about keeping the rod away from your leg. Something Im prone to do is to rest the stinger on my leg if Im welding out of position, or sitting down. I did exactly that with HF turned on..and it bit..and bit me hard. No damage..but it really hurt

Gunner

Gunner Asch

lying on my welding

scratching

It's not usually the HF or HV that hurts so much as what you hit when you pull away suddenly !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Thanks, yes, that helps indeed.

Ignoramus26744

Oh, I see. I do not know how much I will be using welding rods anymore, I really like the way tig works...

Ignoramus26744

Get back to us on that once you've finished your first bridge. :-)

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjk

Try tigging a trailer together. You will soon learn to appreciate rod, or mig.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

You touched a nerve here, actually, because I am considering making a small, but very strong trailer. 5x7 feet or so, maybe with foldable or removable tongue. Don't yet know if I would use tig or stick (do not have mig). With tig, at least, I can see what I am doing, without the flux interfering.

Ignoramus26744

You are dealing with, probably Usenet's most famous, troll. This idjut has brought many groups to their knees.

Have a look at alt.solar.photovoltaic, alt.energy.renewable or alt.energy.homepower where 100s of posts are just flaming people. Treat him with the respect he deserves

For a real treat look into alt.clueless where he loves to stash his loot for later trolling.

Know by a different nickname for each group, using many different browsers and News Providers to edisguise his identity from detection by the authorities. He has lost over 15 accounts that other have reported to date.

Google one of his alter egos. Sick individual. Don't let him fool you.

"//.Haress//Taz//Tazoar//T@z//dob.a.TROLL//P.BENGI//Digi//wmbjk//JohnTuttle//.Hf ress//GimmieButt///Eunty JEck//Aunty Jack//Bunty Jack//Gimmie Bob//Digi//anonymous//helga//wingnut//Nemisis.0.GimmeButt//Paul Vader//windows.embroidery.Gymmy//Shylork//Hatunen//Lectron_Nuis//BugHunter//fant

0m//KazAdz//Gabriel//a miriad of other munged versions of same//" with a spurt of a brain cell trolled the group with news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...
Reply to
Solar Flare

While I have no opinion about newsgroups that I have never read, he did make a suggestion to me in the homepower newsgroup that was completely sensible.

As someone with a teeny bit of experience in USENET trolling (I am featured in Wikipedia article on Internet Trolls,

I must say that Wayne is not a troll, although you may possibly find great reasons to disagree with him or invent some other pejorative labels.

"//.Haress//Taz//Tazoar//T@z//dob.a.TROLL//P.BENGI//Digi//wmbjk//JohnTuttle//.Hf

Vader//windows.embroidery.Gymmy//Shylork//Hatunen//Lectron_Nuis//BugHunter//fant

Reply to
Ignoramus26744

Well...post the pictures on your very very long term project if you decide to use tig..and let us know what the cost of the filler material was when you are finished

Gunner, who loves tig, but doesnt want to spend 2-3x as long tigging something that big.

Gunner Asch

Nice troll :)

Reply to
cl

Thank you Ig. Except for the occasional parody (I recently signed a post "Stanley Marsh", mentioning a friend named Eric), I've used the same handle (initials) for my entire posting history. I've been keeping my website private lately, but here it is temporarily for those who don't know me.

Sorry that the solar flake brought his nonsense into this group. It's because yesterday I busted him for nym shifting
I expect that the closest he's come to welding is experimenting with inhaling the fumes from anti-spatter spray. ;-) This will be my only response to him in this group.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjk

I recommend, to all parties involved in trolling accusations, to deeply read the excellent Wikipedia article on Internet trolls, to understand what trolls are and what they are not.

It is disconcerting that people are called trolls for offenses (true or imaginary) that do not constitute trolling.

For example, making mistakes, being wrong, being rude, does not constitute trolling.

Ignoramus8862