preventig rust in damp shop

I have a temporary moisture problem in my shop that has coated my machines with surface rust. I plan to clean off the rust and coat the metal with something to stop further rusting until I can get the water leak fixed. Any favorites for the coating?

Reply to
ben carter

LPS 3 Boeshield T-9 Motor Oil

In that order for my preference.

Good luck,

Andy S.

Reply to
wrongaddress

Ventilation first. Lowers your shops humidity and makes all other preventatives more effective.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Question: Can you paint over this stuff (LPS 3, Boesheild T-9)?

I thought I might use it for protecting my wrought iron (forged mild steel) from rust then add primer and graphite paint for a trouble-free finish for years. Am I way off base here?

rvb

Reply to
Rick Barter

No. What you want is a Rustoleum type primer. The products mentioned prior are an oil or wax based top coat for bear metal surfaces like a table saw top or lathe ways.

Lane

Reply to
Lane

Automatic Transmission fluid is cheap and effective as a temporary coating, I re-apply some every 4-6 months and it works well. Long term,I find nothing beats POR, then paint. ( See

)

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

When I had to leave my anvil outdoors in the rain and snow over one winter, I sprayed it lightly with CRC 5-56 after every hot use. Never saw even one rust spot. CRC 3-36 is very similar but slightly lighter. It would be quite adequate for your application.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Spray blueing like "Dykem" or similar works very well. Also, it conducts electricity so it not a problem if coating a welding table.

Hope this helps

Reply to
Brad King

Don't make the mistake I did. I was concerned about humidity too for some of my nicer tools etc. I keep in plastic storage boxes in my workshop ( shed ) so I got the bright idea to put some of this crystal stuff ( dri something ) you normally use in cabinets etc. When I checked it a couple of days later there was water inside the boxes. Guess the stuff works so good that it also draws the moisture from outside the boxes, what a mess.

Reply to
Carsten