Question about Hobart 135

I went to HF to see if they had the reconditioned Hobart Handler 135's, which they didn't. I looked at the new one on display, and looked under the cover. I was a little surprised to see this drawing (not diagram) of the wiring that said to have it DCEN for flux core wires, and DCEP for gas shielded.

My thought is, what the heck difference does the wire type make for polarity?? I'd probably have just run DCEN for steel with either type of wire.

John

Reply to
JohnT.

bitternut

Really? Fluxcore makes that much of a diff?

John

Reply to
JohnT.
[DCEN for fluxcore, DCEP for GMAW]

Apparently so, though I can't give you the technical reasons for why (my welding reference book isn't handy at the moment). The set up instructions for my Lincoln MIG welder say to do the same thing as that Hobart machine: For bona fide MIG (i.e. solid wire and shield gas) the electrode should be positive, and for fluxcore wire (FCAW) the electrode should be negative.

I haven't tried FCAW mode with my SP175+ yet because my GMAW welds on mild steel are coming out beautifully after a bit of practice. Prior to the SP175 I only had an AC stick welder, which comparatively speaking was a bitch to use. Spatter and slag inclusions has made me a big fan of gas shielded welding methods. Can't wait to get set up for aluminum.

Reply to
Artemia Salina

Reply to
RoyJ

DCEN is for self shielding flux core wires. Gas shielded flux core wires use DCEP but not for 135 amp welders. Their is now a metal core wire for 135 amp welders that use shielding gas and DCEP.

Reply to
R. Duncan