question on butt welding thin Al

Like .025" Al that is. Anyone out there got any advice on TIG particulars for this challenge? I'm using 1/16 pure tungsten electrode with an Invertec V205. So far I've found that low AC frequency with ~60% EN, 25A max setting seems to make it feasible, but I'm having real trouble preventing key holing and getting thick edges and blobs, which seems to make getting even heat input even that much more difficult. Like the debtor in the TV commercial says - somebody please help me - - - TIA Bob S.

Reply to
Robert Scibienski

Scrub the aluminum clean with a small Stainless steel brush first.

Your base amperage is fine, at 1 amp per 0.001".

Switch to a Lanthanated, Zirconiated or Ceriated tungsten, dump the pures in a hole somewhere. Lanthanated and Ceriated are just as good for AC and DC. Zirconiated is just for AC.

Make sure it is a weldable alloy of aluminum, such as 1100, 3003, 5052,

6061, or 6063.

Keep your arc as short as possible.

Gas flow at around 20-25 cfh for a standard collet body or 10-12 for a gas lens collet body.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler