Re: grinder/cut-off

I don't like using cutting wheels with angle grinders. I've been punched in the face a few times with them and I heard of a guy in our shop that got cut severely from it kicking back. I prefer using straight grinders, I haven't yet found a situation where I needed an angle grinder. Carbon arc or plasma usually gets the job done in tight spots where the straight grinder won't fit.

Exactly! We were taught to use this position with carbide cutting wheels on > aluminum when I was in the shipyard. I find it works equally well with > narrow cut wheels. > Switching the handle over does throw sparks up and forward. That is one of > the reasons I like holding with my left hand. Also the kick back effect > pulls the grinder away from you when held with the left hand. > Randy > > Sorry about the last message. I intended to cancel it, but hit the > wrong button. I think I have it now. > > The side handle is mounted on the left side and you hold that handle > with your left hand. The little finger on your left hand is toward > the body of the grinder? Your left forearm rests against the body of > the grinder. Your right arm goes across your stomach to the trigger > area at your left elbow. > > If you moved the handle to the right side, the sparks would go in > front of you and up? > Dan > > > Something that I have learned a few years ago has proven useful. > > When you need to use a cut off disc or grind a groove out as in > backgouging > > a weld there is a safer way to hold the grinder. > > If you are using the grinder with guard in the conventional manner you > > change grips. You grab the grinder by the side handle with your left hand > > fisted around the handle. The disc is able to rotate in the vertical > plane. > > If the wheel shatters it will be flying apart over your left shoulder. > Your > > forearm rests against the body of the grinder motor. The trigger area is > at > > your elbow. The sparks fly downward and under the body of the grinder > motor > > as you grind your groove on the flat surface. > > If you feel uncomfortable with the left hand grip then you move the > > handle to the right side and move the guard around but I don't personally > > like the variation. > > Randy > >
Reply to
Jason Smith