Removing Solar-B flux

I am using Solar-B as a barrier and it seem to work rather well. I would like to know if there is a chemical way of removing the glossy residue. I cannot get to it to remove it by abrasion and something called Wonder Gell is not available up here in Canada.

Reply to
Boris Mohar

A big stainless brush to remove the glass and then scotchbrite works for me but it is slow. Next time I have to use it I will use the rotozip with a scotchbrite like pad on it. I'm hoping the high RPMs will work better than the anglegrinder or by hand.

Anything better would be nice since I cover the front, back and rod with it. (O/A)

Reply to
cl

I was hoping for a chemical method since it will be inside a pipe.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Boris Mohar

you could try sodium hydroxide. it would probably need to be left a while though to work its way through the glass. another way is to heat the thing up and quench it quickly in water, which fractures the residue, makeing it easyer to remove.

Oliver

Reply to
Drendle

Isn't that the one situation where the Solarflux people say use a purge instead? Well if you find something, be sure to post it!

Reply to
cl

Solarflux people told me to get Wonder Gell from Bradford Derustit

They are unwilling to ship to Canada because of HazMat hassle.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Boris Mohar

Thanks for asking the question :)

Reply to
cl

I ordered some and will let you know how it works out.

Reply to
cl

That is the same as the stuff I have used from UTP. It is gelatinized Nitric and HydroFlouric Acids. Incredibly toxic dangerous stuff.

Wear full face protection, rubber gloves and lots of ventilation.

I cut it 6 to 1 with water for etching weld test coupons. Shows up the weld groove perfectly.

I prefer to use Citrisurf, citric acid cleaner now, but that acid gel is still the strongest thing I have used.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I've dealt with the components individually before but never this solution. What is the shelf life like given its gel format? I ordered a quart and hope it will last a while since I'm not going to use it very frequently and it isn't cheap.

Just because of the safety aspect? I was going to try that given your past comments but I have to use more SolarB for OA than you probably do and was worried it wouldn't be stout enough.

Reply to
cl

HF is VERY NASTY stuff. Be careful when using it.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Boris Mohar

I use dilute HF already for glass etching so I know the dangers but things like 'going to the bone' always concern me :)

Reply to
cl

The stuff stores forever on the shelf as long as it stays sealed. It took me 10 years to go through my last quart. I just recently bought a new one.

I hadn't realized how weak my old stuff had gotten, until I used the fresh stuff.

Citrisurf is not as aggressive as the acid paste, but it is much safer to use on location in restaurants and breweries.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler