Removing spot welds?

Have a few questions here

1) What is the best way to remove spot welds on a car fender? So that I can remove the fender and affix a new skin? Canadian Sources?

2) Once the spot welds are remove can I get a "spot welder" to put them back on? Is this a stand alone machine or something that would attach to me Miller 175 Mig?

Reply to
HotRod

I was doing this just the other day !! Best way I know of is to drill the spots out, you can buy specific spot weld drill bits. (try eBay for examples) After drilling just clean up with an angle grinder.

As for the actual spot welding, you can buy a dedicated spot welding machine (google), buy a spot weld attachment for the mig (waste of time really) or drill holes around the lip on the panel and use the mig as it is to weld through the holes you made in the panel into the panel that supports it (if you see what I mean).

HTH Jim

Reply to
Jim

THANKS, seems to be the common answer

Reply to
HotRod

- "HotRod" - spluttered in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Crappy pic in this ad, but probably identical (the current offering) to what I purchased from Snap-On many years ago.

Use an automatic center punch.

Easily one of the more useful tools on my truck. Has three flats on the mandrel so it won't spin in the chuck.

Reply to
Sano

I'm all for buying the right tools for the job so, is this kit just a bunch of hole saws? Or is it specifically for removing spot welds etc.???

Reply to
HotRod

The gadget is more like a milling cutter, purpose-made, chews off the first layer of the weld to free up the outside piece. Eastwood used to catalog them, check their website and other car tool websites. Like $10-20 US, last ad I saw.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Check out KMS Tools in Coquitlam they have a spot weld cutter.

Reply to
Pete

Princess Auto has 'em in their cataloge too.

Reply to
xModem

Reply to
RoyJ