replacement of CO2 in welding

is nitrogen a good solution to replace CO2 where this gas is needed in all welding cases? Thanks for your comments and experience reports. O. Marques

Reply to
alvaro_marques2000

They gave me a bottle of nitrogen by mistake for my MIG. Nitrogen didn't work worth a damn.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Nitrogen is a reactive gas and thus is entirely unsuitable for shielding gas.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

"Grant Erwin" wrote: Nitrogen is a reactive gas and thus is entirely unsuitable for shielding gas. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I'm pretty sure I remember this right. At the bronze foundry I visit frequently, they use nitrogen for welding castings together. At the temperature of an arc, even CO2 becomes disassociated.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Leo Lichtman:

hi Nitrogen is used in welding for shielding first layers weld from other side(would someone translate that into english please?), Thats serious industrie, in the smaller workshops you wont see that. Are you sure it was Nitrogen, or just a green cylinder with an capital "N" in white? That would be the DIN EN 1089-3 new colour-code for Inert Gas , the N meaning "new colour code" until 2006 necessary to show its not Nitrogen (old colour of course green). Nitrogen reacts in an arc with oxygen and you get NOX- all serious poisons. CO2 is used as active gas in MAG because it dissociates and in cooling reacts again giving off some energie away from the arc, so you heat up a slightly bigger area. Also some C goes into the weld, I heard. Don´t know about the left over O2/2O ,though. I wonder if that explains, or do they use some exotic process I dont find at "Air Liquide" homepage... eduart

Reply to
eduart wolf