Rivet Question

Greetings all,

I have acquired a 12' Aluminum flat bottomed Jon boat that will require replacing the braces in the bottom as well as some work on the seats. These pieces are of course riveted in place and from the looks of the silicone, sealant and roofing tar that has been applied to the outside bottom of the boat they leak a bit. My question is; Should I use your garden variety 3/16" alum rivets or some "sealing blind rivets" as sold by McMaster-Carr and others? (My apologies, I can't seem to link to the McM-C page with the rivets) Either way I will probably apply a bit of sealant to the hole prior to inserting the rivets, just to be safe. As always, any and all replies are appreciated. This group has the absolute best variety of knowledgeable people willing to share, Thanks!

Regards, Jim C Roberts

Reply to
Jim C Roberts

You can simply mention the catalog page number (on top of mcmaster webpages)

Reply to
Ignoramus16961

Page 3221 Thanks Iggy :)

Reply to
Jim C Roberts

If you are going to use "pop" rivets then you need the blind sealing ones. If you are going to use rivets that are set using a bucking bar then you are probably going to have to resize the holes to fit the rivets properly. I repaired a 14 foot Lund brand boat that had all the floor braces broken in the middle. With the OK from Lund I formed new braces out of 1/8" 5052 aluminum that fit over the existing braces and welded them in. So no braces were removed. I used hard maple to make the brace form, clamped the sheet onto the form using another piece of maple against the sheet, and used a hammer on another small piece of maple to form the aluminum around the form. ERS

Reply to
etpm

They do not seem to be that expensive.

Reply to
Ignoramus16961

Why did you need Lunds approval?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Because the customer was going to be reimbursed by Lund for the repair. ERS

Reply to
etpm

Ah!

Gunner