Shopping pulsed mig

Looks like I may do the Nome gold dredging thing in summer of 2014, Would like to get a good pulsed MIG to do aluminum, rather than a TIG.

Can anyone give me the lowdown on which would be the best, pulsed MIG,or TIG. Don't know how to Tig, but would learn. Have heard pulsed MIG easier, and more practical.

What is a good machine? Robust? Reliable? Consumables not extra expensive?

Thanks.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Ignoramus26524

Ernie, I'd like to hear your ideas.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

For Pulse MIG I recommend getting a Lincoln PowerMig 350, or a used 300 When coupled with a Python push-pull gun, they can run aluminum welds like buttering bread.

TIG is good for detail work, but for aluminum boat work you need pulsed MIG. For a pulsed TIG for aluminum you have to go to the Miller Dynasty 350 or a used 300. Very pricey machines, but amazing on aluminum.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler