silver braze

I have some boiler piping that developed a pinhole leak in a BI fitting. I can gain access to the inside of the fitting but it would require tons more work to remove it for replacement. The rest of the piping is a mix of copper w/sweat fittings and threaded BI. What I'd like to do is put a dab of silver braze (or other braze) on the pinhole from the inside. providing the fitting is not riddled with corrosion I was thinking the following.. drill the pinhole, clean it in & out , heat & flux & braze. I'm thinking silver braze (Harris 56%) because I have some (1/32") but I welcome any suggestions on filler type, flux & tech. I figure since the leak is in the pipe and not the boiler this should work ok, also many of the pipes are soldered so the braze should be plenty strong.

Thoughts & suggestions ?

Andrew

Reply to
AndrewV

I might look at the inside to see how bad the corrosion is. But would do the silver brazing on the outside. The stuff is very fluid and should work just as well from either side. You could either drill out the pin hole and braze in a plug, or drill out the hole and braze a bit of steel over the hole.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Why not a solder? Your alloy has a liquidus of 1205 F.

How about soldering a copper patch over the hole?

Tom

Reply to
president