slatter free?

I just made this jig

of 1x1x14" sq tube and 2" angle 14" long cut and spaced 1" apart, I also added a removable bottom piece for when I am not using a vise. I used a 4x14 scrap plate and 2 1x1x4" spaced 1" apart to drop the jig into when just using a vise.

All I have to do now is come up with a better clamping idea to hold the pieces in place.

Worked pretty good last night except for splatter. I read to use some kind of spray to stop splatter or reduce it. I do not remember... (Pam spray? not sure)

Could you help my brain out?

Don D.

Reply to
Don D.

Sorry, I meant SPLATTER Don D.

out of 1x1x14" sq tube and 2" angle 14" long cut and spaced 1" apart, I

Reply to
Don D.

How about "spatter"? :-)

I've heard of people using PAM and the stuff I use smells enough like it so it would probably work OK. The real stuff is usually close to $5 a can whereas my local grocery store sells a house brand of non-stick cooking spray like PAM for $1.50 a can when it's on sale. If I hadn't already gotten a couple of cans of anti-spatter spray for next to nothing at an auction I'd definitely give it a try. :-)

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

> out of 1x1x14" sq tube and 2" angle 14" long cut and spaced 1" apart, I

Reply to
Keith Marshall

> out of 1x1x14" sq tube and 2" angle 14" long cut and spaced 1" apart, I

Reply to
Cheryl and Rob

thanks guys, I will see if the local weld supplier has it. Most likely. What about nasal dip jell? just brush it on were needed? I have two tubs of that. Don D.

>> out of 1x1x14" sq tube and 2" angle 14" long cut and spaced 1" apart, I

Reply to
Don D.

Well, screwed that up also... Damn teachers did not teach me a damn thing NOZZLE dip. I need to sssllllllooooooooowwwwwwwww down. Don D.

>>> out of 1x1x14" sq tube and 2" angle 14" long cut and spaced 1" apart, I

Reply to
Don D.

Most people use nozzle dip incorrectly and then complain that anti-spatter spray is better. When your gun is hot from use dip the end into the containter about an inch deep. Hole the gun over your container for a moment then hang your gun lead so that the nozzle is down and allow it to drain any excess . If you hang your gun upward after dipping the material rolls down inside to the gas diffuser and plugs holes. The use of angle iron to hold items in alignment is standard practice in commercial shops. Clamping the pieces into the vee of the angle is always a cussing moment. Randy

>>> out of 1x1x14" sq tube and 2" angle 14" long cut and spaced 1" apart, I

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

same thing..... spatter .....splatter.....the spatter will slpatter on you. :-)

I think in welding world every body knows it is the same. even it should be called by it's correct name.

Reply to
metal mangler

Reply to
Keith Marshall

PAM is aerosol corn oil, not something i would want to weld with. I believe that anti-splatter is silicon spray.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Reply to
Cheryl and Rob