steel vs wrought iron

I have decided that I want to learn how to mig weld. I will be using flux core wire on a Lincoln weldpack 100 machine. I have used a o-a torch numerous times, but this is different. I am planning on a few projects that will be built using bed frames.

Sometimes people around here give away their wrought iron security gates. Would these be good to practice on?

I have searched and did not find any good instructional websites other than the manufacturer's and some of them are better than others and usually just show mig with gas.

Thanks Ted

Reply to
Loading thread data ...

"Ted" wrote: (clip) Sometimes people around here give away their wrought iron security gates.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ "Wrought iron" is an old term whose meaning has drifted from what it meant originally. Wrought iron used to mean iron that was layered upon itself by being forged or rolled. Really old wrought iron gates might have that layered structure, and they would probably not weld very well.

The term now refers to a style of construction that looks like the old, with scroll work and twisted bars, but which actually made of steel. It would make wonderful practice naterial. One clue: real original old wrought iron would be held together with rivets or iron bands.

Also: it would be a shame to destroy an antique wrought iron gate just to get practice material.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Thin metal and FCAW are not a good recipe. Usually shielding gas is used for thin metal on ornamental metal.

Are you talking about true "wrought iron" or just hollow tube steel ornamental metal? When you refer to "bed frames", are you referring to plain steel angle bed frames, or the cast iron of the last century style conical pin joints?

Huge difference in welding processes and results.

Does your machine have the capability of being converted to a shielded gas MIG?

FCAW is not technically a GMAW rig, although it looks like a MIG.

Short explanation: MIG = Metal Inert Gas GMAW = Gas Metal Arc Welding FCAW = Flux Core Arc Welding

MIG and GMAW are where a shielding gas is used outside of the filler wire to isolate the filler wire from the ambient air so that a protected area is formed where the molten crucible of the arc can join metal. FCAW has a shielding powder inside the wire.

If you are really interested in MIG (GMAW), you may have to purchase a real one with a gas solenoid, gas bottle, and the whole nine yards. They are sweet in how they work and what they can do. Cheap they are not, unless you choose to buy a cheap one, in which case I hope you have a boat because cheap ones usually end up as boat anchors. If you do choose to buy a MIG, get a Miller or Lincoln, and you will never regret it.

Please clarify some of your statements, and we can give you a little clearer answers.

12 step welding meetings every Wednesday.


Reply to

I have one like his , yes , it is convertible to true MIG . I hated mine before I converted . I think he is talking about modern "wrought iron" - tube and strip steel . That would be perfect practice material . The flux core burns hotter than gas shielded wire , this mat'l is thick enough not to burn thru as much . FWIW , with CO2 I run mine at #4 heat /25scfm gas/wire speed 6 or 7 for .125-.250" stock . The settings inside the cover are a very good starting point . And the closer the outlet is to the breaker panel the better .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

FCAW is my only choice. I have to work outside, thus gas is not an option.

By bed frame, I am talking about the angle iron modern style.

I am referring to the metal security bars that people put on the outside of their house over their windows and doors.

I would not destroy the old antique metals by practicing on them.

Where are the Wednesday meetings?

Reply to

Good luck with the FCAW on thin ornamental metal. It should do okay on the angle iron bed frames. Last time I used FCAW was on 36" diameter caisson.


Reply to

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.