Stianless Steel to "regular" Steel

Help, I am trying to attach a couple of fittings to a S/S keg for heating elements. The problem is I can only find "regular" steel fittings @ OSH, they don't have Stainless Steel. Can ferrous fittings be welded to S/S? I have a MIG setup, and when testing on a failed project, (the first attempt on a keg) every thing seems fine, but when I try to weld the fitting to the side, no matter how many times I grind away the weld to find the leaks, I find a fine, "line" between the keg, and the fitting, right in the middle of the weld that goes right though to the base of the weld. Almost like the MIG wire mixed with the two metals, but not with each other.

Reply to
brewdaddy69

You need to use either 309 or 312 electrodes or wire. The reason for the cracking is that the chromium in the stainless mixes with the carbon steel making a very hard and brittle combination. The extra nickel in 312 or 309 prevents the creation of this brittle situation by supplying extra nickel to the mixture. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

Reply to
brewdaddy69