Suggestions for TIG tungsten sizes

I finally convinced my lab folk to retire the thoriated tungstens, replace with ceriated ones. Any suggestions for the mix of sizes? Miller

180 SD running mostly .120 aluminum and .032 to .065 mild steel, a very occasional chunk of stainless.
Reply to
RoyJ

I would use 3/32 on all of it.

Reply to
Maxwell

3/32" is the workhorse size in most shops. 1/16" has some benefits in arc control on thin stuff. 1/8" is good if maxing out your amperage on aluminum.

BTW I recommend Lanthanated for most AC/DC work, and Zirconiated for high amperage AC.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Will do. The unit does not get that much use, I want to keep things as simple as possible. If basic usage can be gotten with one size, it makes it so much easier.

I think I was confusing the ceriated with the lanthanated?? What %?

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ

Percentage isn't all that important.

1% and 1.5% Lanthanated are fairly common. 2% Lanthanated are a bit harder to find, and the benefit is dubious, unless you are pushing a lot of amps.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Reply to
RoyJ

Ernie, What do you consider high amperage? I'm just getting into the TIG stuff, I love it and I think some of the PTB are starting to think it might be worthwhile. I just spent about $100 on a box of 1/8' Lanth. tungstens for Aluminum. I'd be running them in the vicinity of 200-ish amps, water cooled torch, should I be getting zirconiated instead? I haven't ground them or anything yet, so I can probably swap if need be.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

1/8" Lanthanated can just handle about 220 - 250 amps. Above that I would switch to a Ziconiated. Zirconiated will outlast Lanthanated on AC.

I have pushed 1/8" Zirconiated to short bursts of 300 amps.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Reply to
Gunner