sundials

What would be the difference between one vertical arm to cast a shadow as opposed to a triangular plate cut on the same pitch as the latitude of location where installed, 35 degrees in my case with the 90 degree corner being vertical, I thought some of the weldors might have fabricated one for them selves or a customer thanks hlb

Reply to
Hlb hlb

One projects a line and the other an increasing shadow.

Mart> What would be the difference between one vertical arm to cast a shadow

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Thanks for your response. I can understand the line okay ,but the increasing shadow I do not. thanks hlb

Reply to
Hlb hlb

If a web is there - it is a line to the sun at opposition. When the sun is on either side it will cast the shadow of the web - of whatever shape it might be. A rod projects a line from all angles except from the end.

Mart> Thanks for your response. I can understand the line okay ,but the

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Take a rod and a cardboard design out into the parking lot or sidewalk. Have a nice line thrown by the rod - and then add the cardboard to the side of the rod. See what happens.

Mart> Thanks for your response. I can understand the line okay ,but the

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Can't answer your question, but I recently made a couple of concrete sundials with sheetmetal gnomons. The triangular shape lets it be accurate no matter how low in the season the sun gets - summer or winter.

Stumpy