T.I.G. machine add-ons.

I am getting an older mosheen of 300 amps. It has no bells and whistles.
In order of desirability, what features would you consider most important.
I would design the circuitry into the machine.
Thank you.
Reply to
buffalo
Perhaps, I need to prime the pump on this one.
Is pulsed t.i.g. highly desired? "Stitch", hatever that is? Post flow? You get the idea. What are really desirable features to t.i.g. for various metals and procedures?
Thank you.
buffalo
Reply to
buffalo
postflow is a must, you will burn your tungsten (and could oxidize the welding area too) if you stop gas flow right after the arc ends.
Ignoramus27153
--FWIW the only reason I'm not satisfied with my good old Econotig anymore is because it doesn't have a pulser. That's the one upgrade I'd love to have in some sort of stand-alone add-on. Ernie came over to my shop and showed me one in action and I'm sold!
Reply to
steamer
Pre and post flow can be done by having the gas valve ont he torch you can pre and post as long as you need and shut it off when required
sometimes the simple solution workes best
Reply to
Brent Philion
Again, thanks to all for their input.
I bet this Lincoln has post flow. I will make it adjustable.
I will also make it pulsed if I can switch the transformer - I will have to think about rise and fall and back emf.
buffalo
Reply to
buffalo
When you do pulsed tig, the current is never shut off completely, it just gets higher and lower several times per second.
Ignoramus21252
Many TIG torches have the gas valve on the torch, so you wouldn't be breaking new ground. Look at the online catalogs, torches with a V in the part number usually have a gas valve.
buffalo wrote:
Reply to
Robert Ball
I'd say no. I can do it with mine, but it uses up sources. You do it when cutting screen material that the torch doesn't see metal from time to time.
One issue is the amount of energy needed each time and the re-charge /generation of that energy at what rate.
It might be useful in cutting heavy rusted material but that is only a guess.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

buffalo wrote:
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn