"The Power of Vacuum" article posted on WeldingFaq.com

An article was just posted detailing what happens when you underestimate the power of vacuum:

contributed by Steve Stovner.

Larry

'Web Guy & Hobbyist Welder'

Reply to
Larry

great photo! I have heard of this being done on tanks in dairies when they sterilize with steam then close off the valves. A budy of mine got an order for a new 30,000 dollar stainless tank from such a boo boo. It is a good lesson. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

My Dad used to work at Todd Shipyards in Seattle when I was a kid. He'd come home and tell me the latest 'bonehead' story about how 'this guy did that', or 'they cut corners when they did this'.

I wish I had a few pictures to show. Some of those 'errors' must have cost thousands of Dollars or even hundreds of thousands of Dollars. It's a wonder nobody was killed!

I'm hoping our readers will come up with some other cool 'bonehead' stories to post (complete with pictures of course) :-0

Larry

'Web Guy & Hobbyist Welder'

Reply to
Larry

"Larry" wrote: (clip) I'm hoping our readers will come up with some other cool 'bonehead' stories to post (complete with pictures of course) ^^^^^^^^^^^^ I used to work on a project where we circulated cold solvent. We got it cold by throwing in chunks of dry ice. One weekend, before going home, we pumped the solvent into a 55 gallon drum and sealed it. Monday morning, when we came in we learned a lesson. The solubility of CO2 in this liquid is much lower at room temperature than at the dry ice temperature, so the pressure in the drum went up, and it stretched into the shape of a big football.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman