Thin Cast Iron Repair

Okay, I lied I do have one more question.

I liked welding with 100% nickel so much I want to get some for the welders at the plant. There, instead of welding thin decorative iron, they are welding the mounting back on to 100hp motors housings, etc. Right now they braze, but these guys are real crafstmen with TIG with all the ss sanitary welding. It makes more sense to TIG instead of braze. That is, unless there are some limitations of the nickel I'm not aware of. I know brazing gives a reliable repair, I assume nickel would be as good or better. (Less heat input as Ernie said, for one thing.)

Based on the material's mechanical properties,

it seems that Nickel is comperable to bronze. I don't know about ductility, malleability, etc., but I assume it's not a major factor... I'd think the welding/brazing process has more of an impact.

I understand that peening is required on the thicker stuff. (Ever try a needle scaler for that?)

Please let me know if I'm missing something major here.

Ed

Ed

Reply to
Ed